Saved A Bottle Of Trub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Hi

I saved some trub from a Belgian Pale Ale a couple of months ago using Whitelabs yeast (I think it was 550). Its being in the fridge ever since. Its now settled nicely with the pale brown trub at the bottom and clear wort at the top. Im hoping to re-using it this weekend. Whats the go? Decant off the clear wort and make a starter out of this? Leave the pale brown trub and throw away as this is probably dead yeast n trub etc? Could I just bring the bottle to room temp n shake like shit and pour this into my new wort. Whats the best way to do it?

Cheers
Steve

I used to do something similar. I'd pour the starter into the fermenter except for ~30ml at most. I'd then put about 300ml of that wort into the starter jar and let it ferment out. I'd then store it in a beer bottle in the fridge. About a week before it was time to brew again, I'd pour the clear liquid out of the bottle and add just the sediment to the starter and build it up again.

I'd just decant the liquid (leave enough to be able to swirl the sediment up) and dump the trub/yeast into a new starter. Treat what you have in the bottle as roughly equivalent to a smack pack or pitchable tube.

If its been there for a few months i would make a 1L starter just to ensure viability and get your ferment off to a good start.

I had a coopers yeast cake that i split into 3 and used the first 2 within a few weeks. The last one i left for 3-4 months before using. Took more than 3 days to show any signs of ferment and when i took the lid off at rack the solvent smell threw my head back so hard it hurt!

So a few days prior to brewing i make a 1L starter just for piece of mind.

make sure to taste the liquid, just incase its turned nasty

She tastes beautiful.......took her out of the fridge at 6.00. Just went into the laundry to check it and its spewing out the top of the lid! aaaaahhhhhhhgggggg I dont have a big enough container to put it in. Its currently in a gatorade sports drink bottle. Its going off! Should I leave it?

That surprises me a bit, Steve, All those years at Grumpy`s and at AHB and you never reused a yeast .
Lot of money gone to waste there. ;)

stagga.

onya stagga me ole chesnut. Well i figured if I paid a few notes mores than usual for the whitelabs I might as well try and get some use out of it. :icon_cheers: fu^&%&^cked if I know what to do with it now :lol:

onya stagga me ole chesnut. Well i figured if I paid a few notes mores than usual for the whitelabs I might as well try and get some use out of it. :icon_cheers: fu^&%&^cked if I know what to do with it now :lol:
lol ... how bout this..... I`ve got 2 wyeasts from Grumps here, a 3333 and a 1084, been in the beer fridge for 3 years and I can`t bring myself to throw them out :rolleyes:
Nice to talk to you again :party:

stagga.

Whats the deal with reusing yeast after a gelatine addition?

I recently gelatined a batch in the fermenter, and saved a bottle of trub, but was thinking, is this still gonna be ok as normal? Or does the gelatine stuff it? :huh:

Latest posts

Back