Saunders Malt Extract At Woolies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staticfish

Reaction score
Hi all,

Shopping at my local woolworths last night and saw that they now stock saunders malt extract.

It used to be the standard for home brewing in the 1970s before LHBSs started up. Favourite used to be a kilo of Saunders, one and a half kilos of sugar, 30g dried up yellow pride of ringwood simmered 20 minutes and a packet of tandaco bread yeast.
Turned out tasting not unlike cat's piss but the old farmers and pensioners would rave over it. Drunk on a dollar, dead drunk on two, dead on three :icon_cheers:

That's almost worth trying as a "historic experiment"! Almost. :ph34r:

I made an extract beer using this, goldings/fuggles and s-04 last year as a direct comparison with the LDME sold by my LHBS. It wasn't too bad actually. A little one dimensional, but it didn't have the chill haze the LDME had. It tasted slightly like ANZAC biscuits for some reason...

Is the gravity and fermentability comparable to those from the LHBS? i.e. Will a brew made with 3kg of saunders have a similar OG and FG to one made with, say, 3kg of Morgans or Coopers extract?

I noticed this stuff at my local Coles, but at a price of about $9 for a container.

Rather expensive extract brewing, if that's your fancy. and also too expensive for starter worts.

I'll stick to extracting my own sugars from grains.....

Favourite used to be a kilo of Saunders, one and a half kilos of sugar, 30g dried up yellow pride of ringwood simmered 20 minutes and a packet of tandaco bread yeast. Turned out tasting not unlike cat's piss but the old farmers and pensioners would rave over it.

New style: Classic Australian Pilsner?

Is the gravity and fermentability comparable to those from the LHBS? i.e. Will a brew made with 3kg of saunders have a similar OG and FG to one made with, say, 3kg of Morgans or Coopers extract?

I can't remember the exact attenuation I had using Saunder's Malt Extract, but I do remember that it was very similar to the LDME from the LHBS. I'll try to find exact figures tonight for you.

Also, it was a little darker than the LDME. I wouldn't use it in a light lager.

Back