Sanke (cub-like) Kegs And Keg Tools

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legwind

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Sanke keg that a friend brought over in a shipping container from the US and was nicely opened by a brewer I know who had a special tool to do it.
I have seen the instructions here (actually a link to the Arizona site) that tells you how to do it, but I'd just love to have one of these tools.
Anyone seen one?
If you don't know what they are, check out this site http://www.stpats.com/oakbarrels.htm and look for the Sanke Valve-Removal Tool. :)
I think I'll have to get a Fitter-Turner to make it up for me.
By the way, this tool opens CUB kegs (as they are almost exactly the same as US Sanke kegs).

All it seems to do is hold the valve open so the pressure is released. Wouldn't be extremely challenging to make, but a very useful tool.

When I've done this I consistently push down on the ball to make sure no pressure builds up.

Get the brewer at the Port Dock out at Port Adelaide to show you how many teeth he is missing from when he didn't release the pressure and tried to open up a keg.

(I know that is hardly surprising - Port Adelaide and missing teeth)

CUB use the screw in Sanky, this is the wrong tool, I think I priced one at around $450 is once. You could contact Keg Systems in Sydney; Craig would defiantly know the answer as he deals in second-hand and reconditioned as well as new kegs.

MHB

All it seems to do is hold the valve open so the pressure is released. Wouldn't be extremely challenging to make, but a very useful tool.

When I've done this I consistently push down on the ball to make sure no pressure builds up.

Get the brewer at the Port Dock out at Port Adelaide to show you how many teeth he is missing from when he didn't release the pressure and tried to open up a keg.

(I know that is hardly surprising - Port Adelaide and missing teeth)

It is not used to relase pressure from the keg it compresses the spear down so that you can remove the locking
circlip ;)

CUB use the screw in Sanky, this is the wrong tool, I think I priced one at around $450 is once. You could contact Keg Systems in Sydney; Craig would defiantly know the answer as he deals in second-hand and reconditioned as well as new kegs.

MHB

MHB, yeh as Yarra mentions, the tool is used to push the spear down, you remove the circlip, remove the tool, and then unscrew the spear and pull it out. That is how to remove the spear of a CUB keg, and as far as I understand it, that is one of two types of Sanke keg. In the other, the spear simply pulls out once you have removed the circlip.
Is there a Keg Systems website? Or contact for Craig?

get your hands on a coupler they do the job for removing the spear, its really just a small twist. The clip is another problem. Im using sankes atm and have found its not worth the effort. And after opening them i found you dont really need to open them. You can fill them with a coupler. Personally if i had the choice again i wouldnt have bought the expensive couplers and alike and gone with the soda kegs, seem to be much less effort. Not to mention trying to lift a full 50L keg into a fridge.

nick

Back