Sanitizing Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-noob

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm just wondering, when I sanitize my glass bottles what's the max time I can leave the bottles for?

I sanitized them with Morgans Sanitize non rinse stuff, so how long can they be left (upside down) with out re-sanitizing them after

1, 5, 12, 24, 48 hours ect to bottle?

Cheers Heaps
Barry
:D

once mine have dried I stand em right way up and cover the lot with a layer of glad wrap...left like that for 2 weeks before with no problems...just primed and filled and capped when needed!....(not saying this is best practice, just what I do and NEVER had a problem to date over about 40 batches)

I'm using defender. Does this mean I can rinse my bottles and bottler in defender then let the bottles drain without rinsing them? It just doesn't feel right to then go fill these bottles with my glorious nectar.
Can you rinse with just normal tap water if you were going to rinse, the caps bottler etc?

I'm using defender. Does this mean I can rinse my bottles and bottler in defender then let the bottles drain without rinsing them? It just doesn't feel right to then go fill these bottles with my glorious nectar.
Can you rinse with just normal tap water if you were going to rinse, the caps bottler etc?

The idea of a no rinse sanitiser is that... well you don't have to rinse... IF this defender of which you speak is a No Rinse Sanitiser then that is what you do, Sanitise, drain and bottle, no rinsing...

has been discussed HERE

Yob

The idea of a no rinse sanitiser is that... well you don't have to rinse... IF this defender of which you speak is a No Rinse Sanitiser then that is what you do, Sanitise, drain and bottle, no rinsing...

has been discussed HERE

Yob

Thanks Yob, its just hard to get used to that. I had a bit of foam left in my bottles even after a couple of minutes draining upside down so I ended up rinsing with a splash of boiled water.

Thanks Yob, its just hard to get used to that.

Don't fear the foam..

it's a great comment as can be heard in the brewing network thingy on sanitation, this was the episode that sold me and Ive never looked back.. I almost "want" some foam on the top of anything Im racking/filling... gives me a warm fuzzy feeling it does..

BN Show on Sanitation with Jon Herskovits of Five Star Chemicals (Starsan) link HERE

dunno how many times Ive listened to it... usually once every time I post the link, and then a few :lol:

Note: Fast forward to 11 mins in to where it gets good, gold from there on in...

Yob

Don't forget to sanitise the caps - when I'm bottling, I put my caps on
a plate upsidedown and cover the caps' insides with sanitiser. After all
bottles are capped, I give my bottle caps a rinse with water since the
phosphoric acid sanitiser is likely to cause rusting otherwise. I use the
plastic tube that came with my glass bulb hydrometer to soak my bottling
cane in sanitiser (without needing to use up too much sanitiser) - anything
that comes into contact with beer I try to sanitise.

Tap water probably creates a chance of bacteria getting into your beer.

T.

I put some diluted iodophor in a spray bottle. Then I just spray a few puffs into the bottle, tip it out and fill immediately with beer. No need to over complicate things.

I put some diluted iodophor in a spray bottle. Then I just spray a few puffs into the bottle, tip it out and fill immediately with beer. No need to over complicate things.
+1 to that. Good practice to store the empties in a clean state but no rinse sanitiser is to use immediately prior to whacking the beer in, foam and all.
Personally I give everything a squirt prior to storage, just to discourage any mould-type growth but I would reapply when you bottle.
Just squirt squirt in all the bottles, back upside down, then get bottling.

I never found it any hassle just to use a $2 plastic sprayer bottle to give every bottle a couple of squirts when you're setting up to bottle.
Extra gear to clean bottles always struck me as overcomplicating the process but YMMV.

Washing out foam from no rinse sanitiser with tapwater is definitely not the idea! Love the foam! Be the foam!

Latest posts

Back