Sanitizing a Plate Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know how I will plumb and use my chiller, just trying to get my head around Craftbrewers instructions.

Batz

Batz said:
I still don't seem to have an answer to my post #23, surely there's plenty of brewers using these things. Ross can you explain please?

I ask this question as I have a plate chiller to set up soon, bought form craftbrewer.

Batz
Hi batz,
I have a plate chiller that I used to use before I got a chillus maximus, you know the type,
anyway, just mount it upright with the the wort going in the bottom fitting and out the top and the coolant going in the top fitting and out the bottom.
If you raise the hose on the outlet of the coolant side it should bleed any air that may be in the system.
To be honest I just had the coolant hoses laying on the floor from the tap (in) and back to a sink drain(out) with the out side about a metre off the floor to get over the side of the sink to the drain.
In simple terms just ensure both wort and cooland sides have no air in there.
I never had any trouble and I am sure you wont have any bother either. ;)
Cheers

Batz said:
I agree, but as you say it suggests as you said, having the hose water on the outlet side higher than the inlet to achive the samething.
Only now both the water and wort travel in the same direction, no good will come of this.
No, you mis-read. It doesn't say *attach the hose* to the top, it says *raise the hose* above the inlet.

ie, the water comes out the bottom where the outlet is then goes up the hose which should be higher than the inlet.

Never did mount my 30 plate chiller. Use it on the floor with hoses connected (wort and water in opposite directions naturally). No air locks/bubbles and IMO easier to clean and drain being portable. Hand it up after cleaning to drain the hot side, next day I switch it around on the hanger ensuring that each side hot/cold is drained completely.

Never did mount my 30 plate chiller. Use it on the floor with hoses connected (wort and water in opposite directions naturally). No air locks/bubbles and IMO easier to clean and drain being portable. Hand it up after cleaning to drain the hot side, next day I switch it around on the hanger ensuring that each side hot/cold is drained completely.

I made mine quite easy to remove by hinging a piece of flat aluminium to the frame of the brewery at the same distance from one upright as is the width of the chiller. I then used a wing nut to attach the aluminium to the upright part of the frame so when it is time for cleaning it is just a few seconds to remove the chiller.
I fitted cam locks to the wort side and snap on hose fittings to the coolant side.

dicko said:
I made mine quite easy to remove by hinging a piece of flat aluminium to the frame of the brewery at the same distance from one upright as is the width of the chiller. I then used a wing nut to attach the aluminium to the upright part of the frame so when it is time for cleaning it is just a few seconds to remove the chiller.
I'm thinking something similar once I finally make my stand. I'm thinking that leaving the chiller flooded with some sodium percarb (similar to what Nev said with caustic) might be the way to go. I don't know about you guys but I can never seem to get all the water out of mine no matter the orientation or violent swinging to get it out.

(note, I'm going to investigate to ensure the chemical I use will not eat my plate chiller...)

Parks said:
I'm thinking something similar once I finally make my stand. I'm thinking that leaving the chiller flooded with some sodium percarb (similar to what Nev said with caustic) might be the way to go. I don't know about you guys but I can never seem to get all the water out of mine no matter the orientation or violent swinging to get it out.

(note, I'm going to investigate to ensure the chemical I use will not eat my plate chiller...)
I leave my cleaner in as mentioned, I do get green color caustic if I leave it in for a long time (Months) or mix at above recommended ratio but thats from the copper solder, I have been doing this for many years and would have only removed a poofteenth of a micron of copper so far. Hey at least I know its clean. I would be more concerned if it it was acid being left in there. I also run the pump whilst connected every few days, I must have the cleanest plate chiller in Aussie :D
Nev

Gryphon Brewing said:
I leave my cleaner in as mentioned, I do get green color caustic if I leave it in for a long time (Months) or mix at above recommended ratio but thats from the copper solder, I have been doing this for many years and would have only removed a poofteenth of a micron of copper so far. Hey at least I know its clean. I would be more concerned if it it was acid being left in there. I also run the pump whilst connected every few days, I must have the cleanest plate chiller in Aussie :D
Nev
Yeah, I would think doing that would be a much better solution than the possibility of mould growing from moisture.

Gryphon Brewing said:
only removed a poofteenth of a micron of copper
P.S. Is that a standard measure :lol:

An alkaline based cleaner can be used as Nev has described, PBW/sodium hydroxide is alkaline.

I don't store homemade PBW (Sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate) in my plate chiller but do run a hot solution of it through periodically followed by a hot rinse and then an acid based, no rinse sanitiser (eg. starsan), then hot water then drain. Just before use i run an acid based, no rinse sanitiser through.

Flush in both directions at each step.

Immediately after use i run hot tap water through both directions and then allow to drain.

dicko said:
I made mine quite easy to remove by hinging a piece of flat aluminium to the frame of the brewery at the same distance from one upright as is the width of the chiller. I then used a wing nut to attach the aluminium to the upright part of the frame so when it is time for cleaning it is just a few seconds to remove the chiller. I fitted cam locks to the wort side and snap on hose fittings to the coolant side.
My chiller is upright & enclosed in a ss bracket with a hook on the back for easy detatchment. Hot PBW for cleaning here & flush both ways afterwards.

Off-topic --- Gee this forum upgrade makes quoting\posting too easy.

Back