Sanitizing a Plate Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone want to swap a 30mk plate chiller for a good immersion chiller? It will be up for sale and/or swap in the correct thread soon.

Gav80 said:
Anyone want to swap a 30mk plate chiller for a good immersion chiller? It will be up for sale and/or swap in the correct thread soon.
Why do you want to go to an immersion chiller Gav?

I notice on CB website in the instructions it states,

HOW TO SETUP
Mount the ChillOut vertically with the writing on the name plate facing up. For pump and gravity setup to avoid air being trapped in the water flow it is suggested that water out be raised above the height of the water in flow.
Are people doing this? So does it mean you change the direction of flow of both the water and wort?

Batz

Batz said:
I notice on CB website in the instructions it states,

Are people doing this? So does it mean you change the direction of flow of both the water and wort?

Batz
Mine sits horisontally with a slight slope up towards the wort outlet end of the chiller to prevent any air bubbles remaining in the chiller, this seems to work fine, but I can understand how mounting it vertically would be more practical. I just could not set mine up that way due to the hard plumbing. Not sure what they mean by "vertically with the name plate facing up"

cheers

Browndog

browndog said:
Mine sits horisontally with a slight slope up towards the wort outlet end of the chiller to prevent any air bubbles remaining in the chiller, this seems to work fine, but I can understand how mounting it vertically would be more practical. I just could not set mine up that way due to the hard plumbing. Not sure what they mean by "vertically with the name plate facing up"

cheers

Browndog
Seems a bit strange to me as well Tony, the wort flows one way and water the other. So no matter what you do either the wort or water will have the possibility of air being trapped.

Batz said:
Seems a bit strange to me as well Tony, the wort flows one way and water the other. So no matter what you do either the wort or water will have the possibility of air being trapped.
I guess not all plate chillers are designed the same, never had air lock issues with mine.
Nev

What do most of you use to stop getting hop stuff in your plate chiller while cooling?
Hop sock?
Anything else?
The more you stop getting into the plate chiller, the easier to clean I suppose.

I use a s/s strainer on the end of the pick-up tube. It was made by Beerbelly in Adelaide. It works a treat.

billygoat said:
What do most of you use to stop getting hop stuff in your plate chiller while cooling? Hop sock? Anything else? The more you stop getting into the plate chiller, the easier to clean I suppose.
Nothing if using pellets, just flush and clean really well after use. Whilfloc in the boil will hold a lot back.
Nev

goomboogo said:
I think Nev is referring to sodium hydroxide.
No. Hydrogen Peroxide, also very nasty when not diluted. (household stuff is 3%).
PEROXYACETIC ACID = Peracetic acid, acetic acid, hydrogen peroxide and water

Sodium hydroxide is know as Caustic or lye, depending which country you are in, I use the Alkaline salts as its easier and apparently more green ?
Caustic cleaning is a generic term I use which is really not that accurate, sorry.
Nev

I still don't seem to have an answer to my post #23, surely there's plenty of brewers using these things. Ross can you explain please?

I ask this question as I have a plate chiller to set up soon, bought form craftbrewer.

Batz

Batz said:
I'd rather have air in the cooling water sections than in the wort sections.

Batz said:
I still don't seem to have an answer to my post #23, surely there's plenty of brewers using these things. Ross can you explain please?

I ask this question as I have a plate chiller to set up soon, bought form craftbrewer.

Batz
I think it may be supposed to read "mount the chiller horisontally with the writing on the name plate facing up"

browndog said:
I'd rather have air in the cooling water sections than in the wort sections.

I see where your coming from Tony but of course we would rather not have air in our chiller no matter what side. Perhaps it is the fitter in me, chasing air out of systems is something I do for a living, I can't see where the problem is with these chillers? I would have thought the flow of the liquid in either direction would be enough to expel any air. I read the craftbrewer instructions and see some must experience problems.

Doesn't really answer the question but in my HERMS it's set up directly vertical with a slight cant backwards to help stop unwanted dripping.
Depending on your setup you can easily hook up the garden hose (or HLT if rigged to do so) onto the HEX-out as I do & thus blow everything backwards no worries.
Can't say I've ever bothered thinking about it in regards to a Braumiester but bleeding my system before sanitising via whirpool @ 20 minutes means I never have air problems anywhere at any time.

TidalPete said:
Doesn't really answer the question but in my HERMS it's set up directly vertical with a slight cant backwards to help stop unwanted dripping.
Depending on your setup you can easily hook up the garden hose (or HLT if rigged to do so) onto the HEX-out as I do & thus blow everything backwards no worries.
Can't say I've ever bothered thinking about it in regards to a Braumiester but bleeding my system before sanitising via whirpool @ 20 minutes means I never have air problems anywhere at any time.
Thanks Pete, so does this mean both your wort and cooling water flow in the same direction? Cooling water connected to the outflow, and wort to the inflow chiller connections.

Batz

Batz said:
Thanks Pete, so does this mean both your wort and cooling water flow in the same direction? Cooling water connected to the outflow, and wort to the inflow chiller connections.

Batz
Water and wort most definitely should be travelling in opposite directions. You WILL get much worse cooling if going the same direction.

My guess with the writing facing up is it forces you to get all the air out on the wort side. It also suggests having the hose of the water on the outlet side higher than the inlet to achieve the same thing.

Parks said:
Water and wort most definitely should be travelling in opposite directions. You WILL get much worse cooling if going the same direction.

My guess with the writing facing up is it forces you to get all the air out on the wort side. It also suggests having the hose of the water on the outlet side higher than the inlet to achieve the same thing.
I agree, but as you say it suggests as you said, having the hose water on the outlet side higher than the inlet to achive the samething.
Only now both the water and wort travel in the same direction, no good will come of this.

DSCF3003.JPG

Back