Sanitising Yeast Vials?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isnt Nath talking abut the WLP vials? I was of the impression that they are soft drink bottle blanks, intended to be blown into shape by hot air. Therefore no "good brand" as such.

Let us know Nath. I would be inclined to wrap one in foil & PC it.

Mornin' ted.

Nah its the clear ones with the yellow cap. Like those ones that you can get from that proscitech site. They are pretty thick, but i know that doesnt necessarily mean that they are suitable for boiling hence my question. In practice,,i think ive answered my own question last night by doing a trial run. They seem to have pulled up fine. I got yeast intovthree of them, so with my little option for equipment, ill keep an eye on the vials for unusual growths.....gonna go look at pressure cookers.

Mornin' ted.

Nah its the clear ones with the yellow cap. Like those ones that you can get from that proscitech site. They are pretty thick, but i know that doesnt necessarily mean that they are suitable for boiling hence my question. In practice,,i think ive answered my own question last night by doing a trial run. They seem to have pulled up fine. I got yeast intovthree of them, so with my little option for equipment, ill keep an eye on the vials for unusual growths.....gonna go look at pressure cookers.

Like a smaller version of a medical (urine etc) sample jar ?

I have a spare pressure cooker you could have, but no doubt shipping to Mt Gambier from Sydney would probably make it pointless to do so. Ill weigh it later and let you know. Or pop into a few Vinnies, youll get a bargain eventually.

In the interim, a triple boil over days is satisfactory in many instances.Its a ghetto method used by poor amateur mycologists with some success. At least until you get a PC.

Back