Sanitising With A Pressure Steamer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wqijno

Reaction score
Just had an idea of sanitising bottles with a pressure steamer instead of immersing in water with sanitiser.

Saw this on ebay...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-High-Pressu...=item2a1222ac02

I figured that the steam would be boiling hot so you could just shoot some steam in each bottle with the pressure gun and it should be sanitised right? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Don't buy for that purpose. Tried it myself, but not successful - fiddly and time consuming also steam burns. Clean then rinse with sanitiser. Build yourself a bottle drainer, place bottles on drainer to dry. All done.

When I was a kid on a dairy farm there used to be a boiler making steam.A Jacko boiler I reckon it was called.It had a wood fire under it and the cream cans were inverted on the top plate and a steam jet was injected into them for sanitising them.Would probably work if a jig was set up to hold the bottles upside down to squirt them without burning yourself.
Howling dog has got it right I think,clean and rinse much easier.

I use something very similar for all my sanitation needs on my counter flow chiller and kegs, great bit of kit.

Tried it on champagne bottles once, glad I was not actually near it at the time, the steam heats the glass very fast, resulting in the same crack/pop glass everywhere that a bottle bomb gives!

Give it a pass on glass.

Back