Pressure fermented and then cold crashed - closed brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi There I was wondering if you anyone here does that the pressure fermenting then cooled down and carbonated, servering from the fermenter. Any issues, what if you dont have one that you can remove the trub? In theory it should be a good way to brew as the first time the beer hits air is in the glass. I saw a great price the other day on a fermenter, I was thinking of having 2 - one fermenting fridge and one the fridge. That its it, just keep swapping.
Thoughts? Basically fermenting to serving in the same vessel..
thanks

Last edited:
The subject has come up before. Keep the beer cold, drink the beer early, and the trub should be no problem until the top of the beer gets down near it. Are you planning to maintain pressure by adding CO2 as you draw beer?

The subject has come up before. Keep the beer cold, drink the beer early, and the trub should be no problem until the top of the beer gets down near it. Are you planning to maintain pressure by adding CO2 as you draw beer?
Thanks, Yep will have the gas on, at least when I am pouring. But with a spunding valve at least keep the psi up... this one will have floating dip tune.. Will the trub be an issue, after a long period as you say drink early. cheers

The colder you keep it, the longer it will last. At 5 or 6 degrees you'll stop most biological activity and I'd guess it's safe for a month. Longer than that, I'd go colder.

Bottled beers sometimes sit on yeast sediment for several months, though chilling is still a good idea. In your fermenter the sediment will be deeper and layered along with precipitated proteins, so I'd err on the safe side.

Someone on this forum may have done what you plan and give more specific advice.

BTW I have been doing this partially in a corny keg, after about 5 days I put in keg, so all the trub is gone. There is enough bits to finish the process, actually works well. If I had a floating dip tube it would be better. But with the closed system, I can ferment in the fridge from start to finish. No transfer, from what I read people are having success with corny kegs and drinking in 7/8 days and almost carbonated with the system being set at 15 psi for 5 or 6 days.

Latest posts

Back