Same recipe, bad head retention this time.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of litres would be enough for that amount of grain. You could wrap the grain in something like a chux cleaning cloth or similar. They sell grain and hop bags fairly cheaply, for the purpose of steeping grain and hops. It depends on your process as to how much water you want to use. I like to boil up the whole volume of water to prevent the possibility of infection.

From there it is quite easy to add 500 grams of base malt and get straight into a partial mash. Before you know it you will be wanting to start on an all grain BIAB. Any amount of grain steeped with your extract brew should give you improvement. Just don't go overboard with the amount of dark crystal grain to start with.

Cheers.
After steeping do I need to boil the speciality grains eg dark crystal as you would in a partial mash with base malt grains?

John Palmer's "How to Brew" is a good free online book for beginners. It outlines the process in an understandable fashion.

This is a PDF I got from an old hand on here years before I knew about here. Jovial Monk was a HBS owner and I still miss his store. I'm sure he wouldn't mind it being posted here. Ignore the stuff about his packs (the ones he sold), but it is a good run down on the process of steeping grains. Take the 70C and harshness thing with a pinch of salt.

Attachments

• Steeping_grains.pdf
    70.3 KB · Views: 74
This is a PDF I got from an old hand on here years before I knew about here. Jovial Monk was a HBS owner and I still miss his store. I'm sure he wouldn't mind it being posted here. Ignore the stuff about his packs (the ones he sold), but it is a good run down on the process of steeping grains. Take the 70C and harshness thing with a pinch of salt.
Cheers

So put simply you combine the wort created from steeping the speciality grains with wort from base malt mashing and boil them together for an hour adding hops at different intervals as per recipe?

You can steep the spec grains and base malt together.

Back