Salty wort?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drifting79

Reaction score
Hey guys so i brewed a IPA today and i had a few tastes of the wort once it was cooled in a small glass
the salt was definitely present. i live in the wanneroo water district hillarys i used tap water and ph 5 stabilizer for the first time i dont normally use it but today i decide to as i havent got my RO system uo and running as yet.

If anyone knows if the salt was from the ph5 stab that would be great i used the normal table spoon for 5 gal batch .

Just found my answer

5.2 is a sodium phosphate salt so it adds a whole buncha sodium to your beer - when paired with a high level of sulfates it definitely makes for a less than good beer. You're better off not messing with your water or learning a tertiary amount of information about water. This is not good stuff - I've made award winning beers with it, but I'm the first to say that that was lucky.

Damn it may have just blown my first brew that hit all the numbers on a lousy salt addition

Yeah, there are pH stabilisers that are designed for use in brewing that aren't full of sodium. Besides, you're supposed to be looking for a pH of 5.4

Yeah hopefully the beer is drinkable as the wort is nearly unbearably salty

You dont have your location on your members info so no one reading your post knows what water you may be using for your brew as you havent told us.
Most town water supplies of Australia can make reasonable beer including I P A 's however you can probably improve that beer by diagnosing the water you are using and adding a bit of Gypsum for the IPA. :)

Latest posts

Back