Safbrew Wb-06

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate i am after a German wheat (Heffe?) just fairly new to Brewing and trying a few different styles. To be honest if some one asked me what the difference was I would not be able to describe it. I guess I am after a beer with that fresh taste low on the hops and a bit tart, with a disctinct yeast taste. I tried a realy nicce wheat at the Mash Paddle a few weeks ago on the Swan Valley somthing similar would be nice.

Here is my plan

approx 50% malted wheat
approx 50% JW pils
a few cups of another scource of wheat ?
15 ibu of hersbrucker

Single infusion mash (never tried anything else) at 64-5c

WB-06 pitched at 16c and let warm up to ferment out (22c) I hope

looking for an OG 1050-55

Any suggestions would be more than welcome always trying to improve what I make.

Thanks Shawn :icon_cheers:

I was down at my local HBS the other day looking for weizen ingedients and they were out of 3068, so they sold me a packet of WB-06 instead and I thought I'd give it a go (since I do love the convenience of not mucking around with starters).

They were reeling off various different Wyeast strains they thought it was equivalent to; but they didn't seem quite certain which. It's not 3068, mores the pity. Does anybody know what it is yet?

I'll be fermenting this beer over xmas; will see how the yeast performs...

Dragging up an old thread here.
I have searched a fair bit, and can't find much on AHB. Homebrewtalk.com is bringing up mixed reviews of this yeast. When comparing Danstar Munich (Which I have not used) and WB06, people seem to love one and hate the other.
I am pitching WB06 on a German Hefe tonight, what do others think of this yeast?

Cheers guys, John.

I am pitching WB06 on a German Hefe tonight, what do others think of this yeast?

It's a good weizen yeast. It will give you a beer that's unmistakenly a weizen, but it won't give you a clone of the commercial german wheat beers.

It's heavy on bubblegum and clove, and nothing I could do would make it do buckets of banana and subtle cloves and bubblegum. That said, it still makes a ripper weizen - especially if you like them clovey.

If you want an accurate clone of a german wheat then the Wyeast packs get you there.

It's a good weizen yeast. It will give you a beer that's unmistakenly a weizen, but it won't give you a clone of the commercial german wheat beers.

It's heavy on bubblegum and clove, and nothing I could do would make it do buckets of banana and subtle cloves and bubblegum. That said, it still makes a ripper weizen - especially if you like them clovey.

If you want an accurate clone of a german wheat then the Wyeast packs get you there.

Cheers, Nick. I love the banana and clove from 3068, but bubblegum and clove is welcome in my glass. :icon_cheers:

I've used WB06 before with a reasonable amount of success. I'd probably want to up the IBU's from 15 though...

sap.

I've tried Munich and WB-06 with the same Hefe recipe (50/50 pils/wheat) and around 15IBU.

Munich - tasted dusty and woody... very strange, no typical Hefe flavours - FAIL

WB-06 - clovey and spicey, not much bubblegum but very much a wheat beer as previous posters - PASS

I've just made a starter of 3056 to try with a wit ... see how that compares!

Back