Safale S-04 Is It Making My Beer Cloudy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malbur

Reaction score
Hi All,
This is my third brew and first time using somthing other than kit yeast.
My hydrometer checks have been fine but it's very cloudy, with little chunks floating around.
The Brew.
1.7 kg coopers apa kit
800g LDME
250g Dextrose
250g Corn cyrup
22L
25g POR dry hopped after four days
Safale S-04 rehydrated
OG 1044
FG 1012 after seven days.
temp between 18-21 deg
Smells fine, taste ok! so I don't think I have an infection.
But there is chunks in the tap and i would say floating around in the fermenter.
can anyone help or give me some advice.

Best bet is that is what we call flocculation, where bits of yeast clump together, comes from the latin for a tuft of sheeps fur (thus a flock of sheep and the kiwi term "well flock me")

K

S04 is actually a really good yeast for clarity. Just give it a little more time, and make sure you run ~50ml out of your tap before bottling - yeast usually settles there, which is probably the chunks you saw (unless its the POR you dry hopped with)

S04 is actually a really good yeast for clarity. Just give it a little more time, and make sure you run ~50ml out of your tap before bottling - yeast usually settles there, which is probably the chunks you saw (unless its the POR you dry hopped with)

I used a teaball for the POR, what is floating around is whiteish in colour.
I will leave it a few more days.

I have had this with s-04 yeast (current brew has it), turned out alright in the past though. Leave it to settle a bit longer like phonos said.

The brew I'm doing right now has s-04 and is at 1012 after 6 days, but I'll leave it another 6 days 4 of them for dry hopping.
then I'll bottle.

Best bet is that is what we call flocculation, where bits of yeast clump together, comes from the latin for a tuft of sheeps fur (thus a flock of sheep and the kiwi term "well flock me")

K

:D :D :D :D

K

U r a deckhead!

Back