S/steel Round Cake Rack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbrown07

Reaction score
Not sure whether this topic has previously been covered, but a quick topic search for 'cake rack' has lead me nowhere at this stage.

I am doing BIAB using a 19l stock pot and, as it is currently reasonably uninsulated and contains a relatively small volume, it needs the occasional re-heat during the mash to ensure temps remain in the selected range.

I have previously dealt with this by holding the bag off the bottom of the pot whilst the flame is on, but there have been a few spills onto the stovetop as a consequence of this method and, lets face it, it is pretty boring standing there for a few minutes holding a wet bag of grain (also makes you a terrific target for 2 year olds to practice their hugging/ tackling technique on you, but that is another story) ...

I have seen a suggestion somewhere on one of the BIAB threads to place a round cake rack on the bottom of the pot to keep the bag off the bottom of the pot in order to avoid melted bag syndrome.

Genius!

Only problem is that a search of the usual suspects (K-smart, $2 shop, etc) and a quick google search have come up with nothing. It seems all cake racks are either not round, or 30cm + in diameter. This would be terrific, save that my pot's diameter is about 28cm!

Anyone else managed to source a 25-28cm round s/steel cake rack (stainless preferred as don't really want something sitting in the "pre-beer" which might add a little something to its flavour!) and if so, where and what price?

Thanks in advance

S/S colandar upside down? / Whatever those rice cooker things are?

Try a kitchen supplies store. I got a 30cm one that works great at Newcastle Kitchen and Cutlery but they also had smaller sizes.

My 19L Big W pot used for BIAB uses a Woolworths cake rack (for cooling normally) cut down with wire cutters to fit in the bottom of the pot. ie. for mash-out. After mash-in the pot is covered with two sleepimg bags and a blanket. Result, 2degrees C lost over a 90minute mash.

Back