Rye Caramel Vs Brown Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smashin

Reaction score
I've just recieved my first pack of cara-rye. My first impression of tasting it insitu is that of brown malt. Milf coffee/light roast flavour. The smell was certainly reminisant of rye (bready/biscuity).I had preconcieved impression that it woulf be some what crystaline (aka cara).
Can anyone add to their exprience with this malt in terms of end charateristics
-body
-sweetness
-other finished charateristic.

cheers in advance

Smashin

I've just recieved my first pack of cara-rye. My first impression of tasting it insitu is that of brown malt. Milf coffee/light roast flavour. The smell was certainly reminisant of rye (bready/biscuity).I had preconcieved impression that it woulf be some what crystaline (aka cara).
Can anyone add to their exprience with this malt in terms of end charateristics
-body
-sweetness
-other finished charateristic.

cheers in advance

Smashin

it doesn't really add sweetness - don't think of it as a crystal malt so much. Rye characters - spicey, peppery def come through but it is more roasty and toasty.

Love the stuff personally...

I didn't get so much of the peppery peppery but some spice and roasty too with some nice bread-like notes. Adds some real complexity to the finish - did an english bitter where I paired it with carared for the crystal malts and it just blew my mind. Didn't taste like a 3.7% beer at all.

For a rye and caramel match made in Heaven, head for Dan's and get a bottle of the Russian Baltika 4 - this will recalibrate your beer buds and show you what rye is capable of :icon_drunk:

Baltika__Large_.jpg

For a rye and caramel match made in Heaven, head for Dan's and get a bottle of the Russian Baltika 4 - this will recalibrate your beer buds and show you what rye is capable of :icon_drunk:

View attachment 36445
That has rye in it ? ... really ? ... where did you find that out ?

Thanksfor the feed back and sorry the delay in getting back to it (pc problems). pretty much what i thought after tasting the grain, very keen to get this into my Belgian Pale ale 2morrow with just a hint of special B.

Has anyone got the potential extract for Weyermanns Rye Caramel Malt or the dry yield fine grain.

Thanks in advance

Smashin

Has anyone got the potential extract for Weyermanns Rye Caramel Malt or the dry yield fine grain.
This is what my Beersmith tells me:
Caramel Rye (Weyermann)
Potential: 1.032
Dry Yield Fine Grain: 70.00%

This is what my Beersmith tells me:
Caramel Rye (Weyermann)
Potential: 1.032
Dry Yield Fine Grain: 70.00%

Cheers Wolfy :icon_chickcheers: , I'll run with that for 2morrows brew.

Smashin

Latest posts

Back