Stammtisch Challenge - Winter 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieren

Reaction score
As I was lucky enough to win the last Stammtisch challenge it is now my responsibilty to announce the next challenge.

I thought a wintery beer may be appropriate and to a style guideline rather than a set recipe but with a small twist. Again, this will be judged at the 2011 Close-enough-to-get-to-Adelaide winter case swap so entries will have to arrive early enough (2ish?) to allow judging to occur before everyone is too loose.

Judging will be in a Best of Show format by members of the Adelaide Brewing Community not entering. World wide entries will be accepted. PM myself for details.

First prize will be a massive perpetual trophy - organised by myself (Raven may help here?).

So the Winter 2011 Stammtish challenge is a Rye Robust Porter. Based on the BJCP guidelines for a Robust Porter however it must contain at least 15% rye. This can be any sort of rye - malted, flaked, caramel rye, chocolate rye... Robust Porter is a broad category allowing beers to range from subtly hopped english versions to more bolder American interpretations and with varying malt/roast flavours. This should allow plenty of room for creativity for everyone.

Following is the BJCP style description which this is based around but the challenge beer should have some perceivable rye character.

10.2 Robust Porter [BJCP]

Appearance: Medium brown to very dark brown, often with ruby- or garnet-like highlights. Can approach black in
colour. Clarity may be difficult to discern in such a dark beer, but when not opaque will be clear (particularly when
held up to the light). Full, tan-coloured head with moderately good head retention.

Aroma: Roasty aroma (often with a lightly burnt, black malt character) should be noticeable and may be
moderately strong. Optionally may also show some additional malt character in support (grainy, bready, toffee-like,
caramelly, chocolate, coffee, rich, and/or sweet). Hop aroma low to high (US or UK varieties). Some American
versions may be dry-hopped. Fruity esters are moderate to none. Diacetyl low to none.

Flavour: Moderately strong malt flavour usually features a lightly burnt, black malt character (and sometimes
chocolate and/or coffee flavours) with a bit of roasty dryness in the finish. Overall flavour may finish from dry to
medium-sweet, depending on grist composition, hop bittering level, and attenuation. May have a sharp character
from dark roasted grains, although should not be overly acrid, burnt or harsh. Medium to high bitterness, which can
be accentuated by the roasted malt. Hop flavour can vary from low to moderately high (US or UK varieties,
typically), and balances the roasted malt flavours. Diacetyl low to none. Fruity esters moderate to none.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Moderately low to moderately high carbonation. Stronger versions may
have a slight alcohol warmth. May have a slight astringency from roasted grains, although this character should not
be strong.

Overall Impression: A substantial, malty dark ale with a complex and flavourful roasty character.

History: Stronger, hoppier and/or roastier version of porter designed as either a historical throwback or an
American interpretation of the style. Traditional versions will have a more subtle hop character (often English),
while modern versions may be considerably more aggressive. Both types are equally valid.

Comments: Although a rather broad style open to brewer interpretation, it may be distinguished from Stout as
lacking a strong roasted barley character. It differs from a brown porter in that a black patent or roasted grain
character is usually present, and it can be stronger in alcohol. Roast intensity and malt flavours can also vary
significantly. May or may not have a strong hop character, and may or may not have significant fermentation by-
products; thus may seem to have an American or English character.

Ingredients: May contain several malts, prominently dark roasted malts and grains, which often include black
patent malt (chocolate malt and/or roasted barley may also be used in some versions). Hops are used for bittering,
flavour and/or aroma, and are frequently UK or US varieties. Water with moderate to high carbonate hardness is
typical. Ale yeast can either be clean US versions or characterful English varieties.

Vital Statistics:
OG - 1048-1065
FG - 1012-1016
IBUs - 25-50
ABV - 4.8-6.5%

Commercial Examples: Anchor Porter, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Sierra Nevada Porter, Bells
Porter, Thirsty Dog Old Leghumper, Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter, Portland Haystack Black Porter, Avery New
World Porter, Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Redhook Blackhook Porter​

Now go and brew your best Rye Robust Porter :super:

Hopefully my case swap brew (robust porter) gives fellow SA case swappers a feel for a robust porter.

So now I get to brew another batch (with rye).

Dr S will be chuffed with this ingredient stipulation

Looks good to me. I've never brewed with rye before, so it'll be something different.

Hmm... need to get cracking on brewing.

I've brewed mine...I needed a darker beer on tap :beerbang:

with 25% rye I'm not sure yet whether there is any perceivable rye character, but I do like it. :super:

Here is the fantastic perpetual trophy we have sorted for Stammtisch Challenges from here on out.

Good luck brewers!

DSCN4405.JPG

Here is the fantastic perpetual trophy we have sorted for Stammtisch Challenges from here on out.

Good luck brewers!

View attachment 46940
That damn trophy is still here, forgot about it when Kieren was here yesterday.

For those interested, Kieren scored both First and Second in the Rye Robust Porter Challenge and will need to come up with the next recipe/style.
The beer in the keg here Saturday night was a good one, think it was the second place winner.
Sorry, but I can't remember who got third.
Something to do with too many beers dulling the memory.
Nige

Well done Kieren and Malted.

I'm anticipating kieren will choose something along the lines of a 1a lite american lager for the next Stammtisch Challenge.

Well done Kieren and Malted! :icon_cheers:

I would also to love the style of the next challange! :drinks:

As requested here is the recipe in the DB - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;recipe=1414

But here is the pure version

OG 1.073
FG 1.019
IBU 50

TF Maris Otter - 42%
Wey rye - 30%
Wey Munich I - 15%
Wey caramel rye - 3%
Wey choc wheat - 6%
TF black malt - 4%
Rice hulls

Mashed @ 65

Styrian Goldings for bittering
0.75g/l Stryian Goldings @ 10min
0.75g/l Tettnang @ 10min

Yeast was 4:1 1056 and 1272

Dry hopped with Chinook 2.5g/l - 7 days

Still working on the next challenge but will be something I have never brewed as it is a little embarrassing winning my own set challenge. Premium american lager with Summer saaz hops.

Back