Rust

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam2584

Reaction score
Gday

just wandering how I can get rid of the rust in a keggle had iron fillings in it when I had my break of building if it sorta just a stain it shouldnt matter should It

cheers

Cameron

Try boiling a bit of PBW in it or caustic soda if you don't use PBW... Don't use pink sanitiser though

If the pot itself is rusting... not just rust marks, you may need to passivate the stainless. From Palmer;

To passivate stainless steel at home without using a nitric acid bath, you need to clean the surface of all dirt, oils and oxides. The best way to do this is to use an oxalic acid based kitchen cleanser like those mentioned above, and a non-metallic green or white scrubby pad. Don't use steel wool, or any metal pad, even stainless steel, because this will actually promote rust. Scour the surface thoroughly and then rinse and dry it with a towel. Once you have cleaned it to bare metal it will re-passivate itself.

If the pot itself is rusting... not just rust marks, you may need to passivate the stainless. From Palmer;

+1

The iron will not only stain but impregnate into the stainless and act as a catalyst for oxidation of the stainless. Hence why when working with Stainless you have a set of tools you use only with stainless and you do not cross them over if you have mixed materials in your workshop. I suggest you take the keggle down to a local fabrication shop and ask them if they can passivate it for you. It's a simple gel acid compound that will do two things. One remove the offending iron oxide and two create a new oxide layer to protect the stainless from further corrosion. The clear oxidation layer on stainless is important to it's longevity and resistance to corrosion.

Chap Chap

+1

The iron will not only stain but impregnate into the stainless and act as a catalyst for oxidation of the stainless. Hence why when working with Stainless you have a set of tools you use only with stainless and you do not cross them over if you have mixed materials in your workshop. I suggest you take the keggle down to a local fabrication shop and ask them if they can passivate it for you. It's a simple gel acid compound that will do two things. One remove the offending iron oxide and two create a new oxide layer to protect the stainless from further corrosion. The clear oxidation layer on stainless is important to it's longevity and resistance to corrosion.

Chap Chap

Yep. For sure if the oxide layer has been penetrated (scratched, rubbed etc) but if the shavings have only been sitting on the top for a short period of time, it's probably onl a stain on the oxide layer... If the stain don't shift with a bit of PBW or vinegar or caustic boiled in it, then yeah for sure, go nutso with the pickling paste

Please don't try this gel acid pickling stuff yourself unless you are skillzed in such things. Hydrofluoric acid is awesome at soaking straight through your skin without your knowledge and necrotising your deep tissues and bones...or so i heard

Please don't try this gel acid pickling stuff yourself unless you are skillzed in such things. Hydrofluoric acid is awesome at soaking straight through your skin without your knowledge and necrotising your deep tissues and bones...or so i heard

And don't forget, it's very smelly.

it feels like burning :eek:

QldKev

Indeed...not a gel that you want to get mixed up with that other useful gel you may have around the house....:blink:

If its surface rust you should just be able to scrub it with a stainless steel 3m scotchbrite...

according to palmer's latest points on brew strong it should instantly re-passivate

If its surface rust you should just be able to scrub it with a stainless steel 3m scotchbrite...

according to palmer's latest points on brew strong it should instantly re-passivate
wow you read palmers (and the above posts quoting palmer) really well didnt you.

DONT use stainless wool.

GDay

well you lern something new every day aye

if It just a stain it shouldnt affect the brew should it ?

Rust converter ( phosphoric acid ) will remove the stain and convert the rust

Found at any paint shop

hydrogen peroxide passivates stainless very well. Use a plastic green scrubby to get rid of the rust and then soak in a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.
Side effect will be that your keggle will be nicely sterilised too.
Chris

Or Anusol.

sweet jesus, i just had to google this - mainly due to my lack of old age and abundance of naivety. i read it as "a-new-sol"...lol wots that? herp derp. thank you for this sleepless night!

Back