Running pumps inline v bigger pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirateagenda

Reaction score
Wanting to turn over more water than my March 809HS is currently providing. The specs for the pump at 0 head are ok, however it really slows down going through 6m of counterflow chiller to recirculate through the wort.

Obviously I can replace it with a bigger pump, but are there any advantages or disadvantages to adding a second smaller inline pump that would be much cheaper than the larger pump?

Could even reduce the flow, you would need to get a lot more specific about what sort of pump, its suction/delivery characteristics and a whole lot more.
I really think one pump sized properly will be a better answer.
Mark

Fitting it (the second pump) in parallel might be better, edit to add, then thinking about it maybe not, what temperature drop do you get in the chiller, is it enough? more flow may not improve the chilling performance as the hot wort won't be in contact with the chiller for as long.

You get resistance through the chiller. Have you considered just using your pump to elevate coolant to a high reservoir and letting it gravity feed through the chiller? You could set up the second pump on the downstream feed but you would want some kind of underback setup to prevent running dry

Fitting it (the second pump) in parallel might be better, edit to add, then thinking about it maybe not, what temperature drop do you get in the chiller, is it enough? more flow may not improve the chilling performance as the hot wort won't be in contact with the chiller for as long.

it chills to within about 5C of the water which is fine, however by the time it goes back into the kettle, there is not enough flow to get a decent whirlpool happening or to chill the whole volume of wort's temp down. With the head and chiller resitance the pump flows back into the kettle at around 5LPM. when i'm doing 120L batches this is like dropping ice cubes in the pool.

I don't think the chiller output will suffer too much with faster flow as the chilling water is delivered at the end, and halfway along the chiller. I have tried slowing it, and cant get any cooler than 5C above tap water.

Back