Royal Darwin Show 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Just handed in my entries for the Darwin Show:

* Stouts and Dark Ales category - Robust Porter: turned out not that robust, still tasty at least
* Ale category - American Strong Ale: Have high hopes for this one although little bit concerned about the carbonation as it was bottled about 10 days ago. The bottle I tried last night was carbonated but possibly not enough. Will have to see what an extra day and a half does, if anything!
* Cider category - Apple/Pear cider. No sweetness, plenty of apple flavours though, lots of carbonation. I'm one of two entries in this category so I'll come first or second!

Noticed quite a few entries in the various categories. I wonder where all the Darwin homebrewers hang out. I'm interested as to whether they're extract or all grain brewers as well.

Your beers didn't score as well as you would have hoped? If there are off flavours, you can work on those however if it was just an out of style beer, theres nothing saying they wouldn't have been tasty.

Oh I didn't get a mark at all. They just announced the first and runner up winners. I suspect my American strong ale probably wasn't to the Darwin taste, as it wasn't a VB clone :)

I know nothing of the Darwin show, but a lot of the beer comps at these shows are judged by guys who don't really know much about beer. The beer categories are very broad and tend to get judged on personal preferences rather than any actual guidelines.

Is there a NT state comp that feeds into the national comp? If not another state will often accept your entries. These comps tend to be judged by experienced judges against the AABC guidelines. Well worth entering for the feedback that you get.

earle said:
Is there a NT state comp that feeds into the national comp? If not another state will often accept your entries. These comps tend to be judged by experienced judges against the AABC guidelines. Well worth entering for the feedback that you get.
Not that I'm aware of. I'm wondering if it's worth starting an NT home brew club, as my research shows there currently isn't one, and seeing if we can some how establish a state/territory comp. I guess we'd need a proper, certified and qualified judge though.

Latest posts

Back