Rolled Oats - IanH's spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosscomatic

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm having trouble finding malted oats but rolled oats are very easy to get...

Does anyone know what EBC and Potential I'd put into IanH's spreadsheet for Rolled Oats?

Or... Does anyone know where I can get malted oats in Perth, north of river?

Thanks!

Use quick oats mate. I've roasted them in the oven for a bit before hand with decent results. I don't believe you need to roast them however.

I was planning on just steeping for 30mins at 65c-ish... Although I may cook them up first maybe...

I'll give it a shot and see what happens anyway...

I've used roasted rolled oats in a scottish ale a few times and I've always cooked them until they're gelatanous first, the same with corn polenta, fully gelatanised before it goes in the mash so the starches are freely available for conversion.

may not be needed with flaked oats or corn meant for brewing but it's how I've done it with the eating variety.

When you say gelatinous, you mean cooked until they are all gooey and sticky like over cooked porridge?

cooked until the flakes appear translucent around the edges and the liquid around them starchy.

I used rolled oats for my stout, steeped at 70 degrees for an hour. Still have some left at 2 years old, bloody excellent.
cheers

Latest posts

Back