Rogue hazelnut brown ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2much2spend

Reaction score
Very nice, hazelnut aroma is AWSOME. Enjoying now at the great northen.

Reminds me of a well attuinated janetts brown.

Haven't tried this one yet but I have seen it around a few times. Will have to give it a go.

:icon_offtopic: Google fu brings up some nice looking clone recipes.

One of my favs. Appears on tap at the Scratch every so often (so I guess Tipplers/Archive would get it sometimes too).

Brewed a clone late last year and added the hazlenut liquor essence. 1 bottle in 23 litres was a bit too much in the keg but bottles turned out alright with tasting only just last week.
Next batch i will either do the same and age a month or 2 more or add 2/3 bottle essence.

hazlenut brown (American Brown Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 21.1 (EBC): 41.6
Bitterness (IBU): 32.7 (Average)

66.3% Pale Malt
12.2% Munich I
9.68% Crystal 60
4.48% Brown Malt
2.68% Crystal 10
2.68% Crystal 120
1.98% Chocolate

1.2 g/L Perle (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Saaz (3.5% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 18c with Pacman yeast

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

2much2spend said:
What would give it the hazelnut aroma?
The brown malt?
goldenchild said:
Brewed a clone late last year and added the hazlenut liquor essence. 1 bottle in 23 litres was a bit too much in the keg but bottles turned out alright with tasting only just last week.
Next batch i will either do the same and age a month or 2 more or add 2/3 bottle essence.

goldenchild said:
How big was the essence bottle goldenchild ?

I did a Hazelnut brown with fresh hazelnuts - 500g in the boil and 500g in secondary for two weeks (23L batch). Gave really nice nutella like flavours without that essence like sweetness from the Rogue brown. Oils from the nuts do affect head retention though.

Samuel Adams said:
How big was the essence bottle goldenchild ?
Not sure mate typical liqueur essence size. 50ml?? If you really want to know I can try and check next time I am at the brew shop.

goldenchild said:
add 2/3 bottle essence.
^ good advice.

I did a mugwort porter recently (~23L) and a whole bottle pretty much over powered everything.

Did a clone with the spirit essence one keg with 15ml another keg with 25ml. The 25 ml has lasted the longest to keep its aroma. But I think I'll try to find a Hazelnut extract cause the beer come out dry so a touch of sweet (I think) would have been better.

Latest posts

Back