Robust Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob C

Reaction score
Thinking of brewing a Robust Porter tomorrow if time allows. Having never brewed one before i thought i would come seek some advice.
Here is what i have came up with from what ingredients i have on hand.

Cheers
Rob

Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.18 L
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 47.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients: ------------ Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 Grain 63.6 %
1.00 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 18.2 %
0.50 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 9.1 %
0.25 kg Amber Malt (Joe White) (45.3 EBC) Grain 4.5 %
0.20 kg Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 3.6 %
0.05 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 0.9 %
30.00 gm Northern Brewer [7.60%] (60 min) Hops 24.3 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.10%] (15 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
25.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.40%] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
1 Pkgs PC West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast #1469) Yeast-Ale

Looks fairly well balanced, Rob. Should be a nice drop.

Thanks Butters, Will give this a shot this arvo if time allows.

Cheers
Rob

Thinking of brewing a Robust Porter tomorrow if time allows. Having never brewed one before i thought i would come seek some advice.
Here is what i have came up with from what ingredients i have on hand.

Cheers
Rob

Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.18 L
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 47.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients: ------------ Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 Grain 63.6 %
1.00 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 18.2 %
0.50 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 9.1 %
0.25 kg Amber Malt (Joe White) (45.3 EBC) Grain 4.5 %
0.20 kg Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 3.6 %
0.05 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 0.9 %
30.00 gm Northern Brewer [7.60%] (60 min) Hops 24.3 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.10%] (15 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
25.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.40%] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
1 Pkgs PC West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast #1469) Yeast-Ale

Looks good to me too...I've actually been thinking about using 1469 in a stout, so I'd be interested to hear how it performs in a porter.

Thanks Mate. Im also brewing DrSmurtos TTL clone today aswell. Will NoChill the Porter and dump this on the yeast cake once the TTL Has finished.

Cheers
Rob

You could always top crop this beast! :super:

Butters no doubt will be able to tell you how much you need. I'm still too lazy to top crop..

Ronin Yes i seen that thread. I was thinking more along the lines of 1/2 a cup or so of the yeast cake.

DrSmurto i will keep that in mind will just have to read up on it.

Cheers
Rob

From what Butters tells me (i ask him every time i see a monster krausen) its a matter of taking a sanitised scoop/ladle, opening the lid and scooping up the krausen trying not to take any beer.

Wash it into a sanitised container with some boiled/cooled water.

Cover with glad wrap and you may still get some pressure build up.

Pitch ASAP or make a small starter.

Seems very easy which is why i cont know why i dont do it.

From what Butters tells me (i ask him every time i see a monster krausen) its a matter of taking a sanitised scoop/ladle, opening the lid and scooping up the krausen trying not to take any beer.

Wash it into a sanitised container with some boiled/cooled water.

Cover with glad wrap and you may still get some pressure build up.

Pitch ASAP or make a small starter.

Seems very easy which is why i cont know why i dont do it.

And this is better than taking the yeast cake?

Top cropping is the best way with this yeast. Getting the stuff off the bottom means you end up with the slow learners in your next batch, and possibly under attenuation. I played around with top-cropping Ringwood and Whitbread a while ago and found that top-cropped performed much better than trub slurry. The best time to crop is around the end of day 2, when the krausen is at its busiest. I suspect (guestimate) that the yeast up in contact with air will be full of O2 and glycogens, so it'll be happily pitched into another wort all ready to go. If you don't get a good half inch of paste once the foam settles in your collection vessel (nice name for a coffee mug in my house), you can top up the mug again when the yeast settles. Another benefit is that the krausen is almost all yeast, no break material and other by-product sludge.

Another Question, I havent done any brews with so many specialty malts yet. When do you guys add these to the mash? The full 60 minutes or towards the end?

Cheers
Rob

Mash for the whole 60mins. I didn't want to comment on the recipe, but as I'm on a bit of a crusade atm, I'd be cutting back on the crystal. With a nice full bodied mash and decent ale malt, you don't want the crystal to sticky up the palate and detract from the roast, amber and munich. Just my very humble opinion.

Agree POMO, 9% crystal in any beer is too much for me and in a beer as complex as this one its over the top.

Ashs recipe is only 12L but that still equates to only 0.3kg in this batch.

Thanks Guys i havent cracked the grain yet so ill cut the crystal back to 0.3kg

Cheers
Rob

Jamil's episode on Robust Porter was excellent, and I recommend a listen to it before or after you are done, either way.
He seems to think, a porter aint tasting like a porter unless it has 'Brown Malt' in it.

Jamil's episode on Robust Porter was excellent, and I recommend a listen to it before or after you are done, either way.
He seems to think, a porter aint tasting like a porter unless it has 'Brown Malt' in it.

He's got some Amber and carafa 1 in there. Should be close.

He's got some Amber and carafa 1 in there. Should be close.
I dont doubt it, but Mr Z crapped on for some time about the 'missing' ingredient in his own porters, was, in fact, brown malt.
Lots of excellent advice on the show, yet I think sometimes the hand should not rest 'on it' so much.

Latest posts

Back