Ringwood Yeast Confirmation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanoontour

Reaction score
Pitched a smak pack of ringwood on Sun morning into a Dr Smurtos landlord, the pack did swell. Still have no apparent fermentation activity. From what I have read on here that it can be a slow starter, but just after some confirmation of what I have done.

Pitched at 22 deg and left it on the bench overnight to keep it warmish and allow it to establish.
Mon around midday when it started to warm up (was 25deg on the bench) I put it into the water bath at 17deg.

What I didn't what to happen was leave it out in the warm and let it get away on me.

So, was this the right way to do things? Would you have left it warm until fermentation has started?

Cheers

Pitching direct from the smack pack, it can take a couple of days for krausen to appear. It's easy to imagine that somehow the yeast has "failed". Don't worry, it's in there breeding away and multiplying, before it switches over to its main task of fermenting. This is known as the "lag phase".
Pitching hot then cooling down is fine, as long as you are at your target temp of, say, 19 when fermentation commences then you'll be good.

Pitching direct from the smack pack, it can take a couple of days for krausen to appear. It's easy to imagine that somehow the yeast has "failed". Don't worry, it's in there breeding away and multiplying, before it switches over to its main task of fermenting. This is known as the "lag phase".
Pitching hot then cooling down is fine, as long as you are at your target temp of, say, 19 when fermentation commences then you'll be good.

Bribie's back! Welcome back mate. I thought you had gone for good...

Back