RIMS set up - 100L pot dimensions and suitable burners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker9

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning a 3V gas powered single tier RIMS set up. I wanted to go with blichmann 30gal pots but they are extremely expensive. They go on about optimised dimensions for brewing - what ratio heigh:width should I be looking for?

Also, can anybody suggest burner model and BTU for this application? I will automate HLT and mash tun.

Regards
James

If i did it all over again id go a mix of gas and elec.. electric for the herms unit and gas for HLT and kettle

Why gas for HLT? Surely elec is a better option for HLT since you want to use a PID on that to get to a steady-state temp.

Gas on the BK for sure, for me. Just speed. LPG, you sacrifice cost a bit, but it brings a good 70L+ batch to the boil ASAP.

Grainer said:
If i did it all over again id go a mix of gas and elec.. electric for the herms unit and gas for HLT and kettle

Do a search for mb-squared, he has a nifty looking setup using gas elements controlled via some electronic means. He made up a thread about it by memory.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm looking to do multi stage mashing, and I was concerned that just using a HERMS coil in HLT would not ramp temperature fast enough. I was planning to have an electric over gas setup as per Brutus 10 design. Thinking about it now maybe electric element in the HLT and manual gas on the MT and BK would work better - for multi stage rests I can turn on the gas just to raise the temperature then turn off, and keep temperature constant with control on the pump for the HERMS coil.... it will give me something similar to MoreBeer single tier brew sculpture, just with electric in the HLT instead of gas.

Any tips for element power output for 100L HLT and gas burners for MT and BK?

Regards,
James

morebeer brew sculpture.jpg

better boil on gas and doesnt rely on 15amp circuits.. i have 10 amp circuits with an old house

Latest posts

Back