RIMS brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow thanks for that very detailed post.
I think I will mover away from using the keg and design a conical mash tun. I might sketch something up with dimensions and post here for review.

I have got some stainless steel pipe that is 350mm diameter. Or I can get a piece of 450mm in a few weeks time. The question is what would work better, taller mash bed or wider? My guess is the taller as the return from top down is in contact with the grain longer maybe.

Taller for sure, it lengthens your filter distance. Constraints would be your manifold and grain mill setting allowing adequate flow through the bed.

Mate I have not ruled out a HERMS rig now that the use of the controller is possible. But for a RIMS tube for heating and ramp times looks easy. If you could use a hex to heat enough sparge water without sacrificing ramp times then I would definitely go a HERMS.

I think you will be ok with 350mm. Sure 450mm would be less pressure on the bed allowing more flow but I'm not sure how you'd go sourcing a false bottom. I would say that a 14" dome would work well in either, but a 14" raised false bottom would not really work in the 450mm pipe.

Although my mash tun is in storage, I'm pretty sure it is 400mm wide and 600 high - too high but it's never full:
gallery_28230_1000_414207.jpg

And a 3/4" valve on the bottom helps a lot.

As for HERMS... Why? You are on the right track with RIMS: simple build, simple operation, high performance.

Having said that Brewmart have 17-3/4" false bottoms which should suit 450mm! Verify the dimensions of course but that's pretty awesome...

How you would work recirc wort distribution over 350mm vs 450mm is another consideration.

On my 23L system my bed depth is maybe 4". The filtration is slightly dependant on bed depth, but also on time (extra accumulated in the bed further filtering) and whether you disturb the bed is not (ie don't).

Well I have my 100L kettle and some sight glassrs, just waiting to make a decision on 350mm or 450mm for the mash tun.

is this site full of engineers?
almost every thread on here ends up suggesting some super over engineered setup thats bordering rediculous for a medial task

rims tubes work, they work with a false bottom with a smaller diameter than the pot/keg (within reason) and dont channel. i know this because ive actually used said setup.. a lot..

herms will never have the response, ramp times or accuracy of rims purey by the thermal mass in the heat exchanger and if you recirculate until the mash bed is set and starts to clear a little (5 mins or so anyway) before starting the PID you wont scorch anything

Maybe some engineers and maybe some who have the ability and tools to make something for the purpose. I do however agree with you if I am reading your comment correctly about over complicating things.
And a thanks for the heads up on settling the bed first before recirculation

Back