Rice Washing Water - Is There Fermentables There ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleaninglady

Reaction score
This is a curly one but in the spirit of recycling water and possible starches , here goes...

When i cook Rice , i wash it three times to remove starches and make for a less gluggy brighter looking rice grain after cooking.

It crossed my mind yesterday that the milky water i was pouring on the garden after washing the Rice was full of starches and might be a good source of fementables for a Brew.

Now , i know that there really might not be any good way of fitting this idea into a recipe but has anyone had any experience with this ?

cL

I think the Filipinos use rice washings in their cuisine, Winkle would be able to confirm. Dunno if there would be much ABV there, but you could try saving 5 litres of washings, bring to boil and just tip into mash as part of your strike liquor. You're going to heat the liquor anyway so little or no power wasted.

This is a curly one but in the spirit of recycling water and possible starches , here goes...

When i cook Rice , i wash it three times to remove starches and make for a less gluggy brighter looking rice grain after cooking.

It crossed my mind yesterday that the milky water i was pouring on the garden after washing the Rice was full of starches and might be a good source of fementables for a Brew.

Now , i know that there really might not be any good way of fitting this idea into a recipe but has anyone had any experience with this ?

cL

Hi cleaninglady

In this post here

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...19662&st=20

it says that it is talc that is washed off rice so I would think that it has no fermentables.
The post has some good info though on using rice in a brew.

Cheers

Back