Gday from Vic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnailAle

Reaction score
Gday gents,

I'm a man of simple taste, I enjoy Hunting, fishing, cooking, sport and a few beers.

I hadn't considered home brewing seriously until recently. I think mostly due to the fact that whenever I've been handed a homebrew stubbie by a mate it's tasted like carbonated dirty water. However I'm ready to turf those experiences aside and have a crack myself.

These days I drink less than I used to but probably more frequently. Any day i'd rather two or three good tasting beers while fishing or watching footy with mates rather than stacking empty six pack boxes of cheap beer on top of each in the recycling bin after a big weekend!

I really enjoy fruity pale ales, IPA, a good stout and the odd wheat beer. I have noticed that these days I quite often go for European beers over Aussie ones as they seem more flavoursome.

Anywho after doing a bit of research I think I'd like to go the AG direction, so I'll be looking for advice on what setup to consider for that. The thing I see as the biggest challenge is getting finnicky fermentation at a constant and correct temperature as my weatherboard place gets cold in winter and hot in summer and maintaining temp enough to keep the boss happy is a challenge enough let alone little yeasties!

Anyway, look forward to doing some reading, getting some info, hopefully a good beer and maybe down the track giving others a hand.

Cheers,

SnailAle

Gday gents,

I'm a man of simple taste, I enjoy Hunting, fishing, cooking, sport and a few beers.

I hadn't considered home brewing seriously until recently. I think mostly due to the fact that whenever I've been handed a homebrew stubbie by a mate it's tasted like carbonated dirty water. However I'm ready to turf those experiences aside and have a crack myself.

These days I drink less than I used to but probably more frequently. Any day i'd rather two or three good tasting beers while fishing or watching footy with mates rather than stacking empty six pack boxes of cheap beer on top of each in the recycling bin after a big weekend!

I really enjoy fruity pale ales, IPA, a good stout and the odd wheat beer. I have noticed that these days I quite often go for European beers over Aussie ones as they seem more flavoursome.

Anywho after doing a bit of research I think I'd like to go the AG direction, so I'll be looking for advice on what setup to consider for that. The thing I see as the biggest challenge is getting finnicky fermentation at a constant and correct temperature as my weatherboard place gets cold in winter and hot in summer and maintaining temp enough to keep the boss happy is a challenge enough let alone little yeasties!

Anyway, look forward to doing some reading, getting some info, hopefully a good beer and maybe down the track giving others a hand.

Cheers,

SnailAle
Welcome mate, enjoy the slide!

welcome along chap, there's plenty of good reads on the site.
maybe you could look at a brew club too? watching AG being brewed squares a lot of doubts away.
good luck with finding the FV temp answer.
i usually try and put 80L or so in mine, the thermal mass makes it a bit easier to control, and it sits 20C at ambient sometimes in the house sometimes out.
cant say i have had a bad, slow or stuck fermentation yet.

Welcome to the madhouse...

Brew clubs are a great way to tap into some experience - where in Vic are you located.

Melbourne Brewers services the eastern side of town. Meetings are last Wednesday of the month. Generally held in Ferntree Gully but we have the occasional offsite meeting the June one will be held a Amber Craft Beer Bar in Hawthorn.

If you're not out east there is...

• Merri Mashers in the northern suburbs
  • Westgate Brewers
  • Bayside Brewers
  • Geelong Craft Brewers

and possibly others Ive missed.

Let us know where you are and we can point you to your nearest club.

There is also the Vic AHB swap meet coming up soon - check that thread out as well. All welcome - even if your not swapping and just want to get along an hang out drink beer and talk about brewing. There will also be a large scale collaborative brew going on to see the AG process in full swing

Welcome aboard plenty of information on here to soak up and as grumpypaul said plenty of brew clubs around. There is also the worthogs brew club in northern suburbs

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm not really near any cities. Closer to the SA border really.

I'll check the thread out for the swap meet.

When I jumped into AG my biggest step forward in learning was brewing software. Default settings on software can lift a newbie up to intermediate/+ etc.
Then endless knowledge shared on this forum plus books, anything on the subject...
The slippery slope as they say. :foammug:

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm not really near any cities. Closer to the SA border really.

I'll check the thread out for the swap meet.

What part of Vic are you in ?

Cheers
Hermies

Latest posts

Back