Rice Hulls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
Howdy,

I want to buy some rice hulls. I am going to need quite a few for various recipes and hoping to find a source of them where I can buy big sacks of them. Can anyone suggest anywhere in Melbourne, particularly close to Ivanhoe, where you can get them in bulk. Or what industry generally uses them so I can try and track them down myself?

Howdy,

I want to buy some rice hulls. I am going to need quite a few for various recipes and hoping to find a source of them where I can buy big sacks of them. Can anyone suggest anywhere in Melbourne, particularly close to Ivanhoe, where you can get them in bulk. Or what industry generally uses them so I can try and track them down myself?

They used to be used in the nursery industry for breaking down clay - not sure if that's still the case.
I remember buying a huge bag of them once from a place in Templestowe.
I'd try nursery suppliers.

+1 for stock feed stores.

You may have to buy a bale of 50 kg, and that's a huge bale.

send a pm to MHB and he should be able to let you know where he sourced some.

Howdy,

Pip,

Might have some spare. How soon do you need them?

Not really sure when I need them by. Thinking about making a gluten free beer for my GF tomorrow...but not sure if I can be assed.

I do fairly large batches, so 50kg would be fine. In fact anything less than 25kg would probably not be enough for the different beers I have in mind...thanks for the offer wasabi, but dont worry about it.

Turns out they come in 125kg bails which cost about $45.

I would be keen to take about half that. Does anyone else wnat some rice hulls that is prepared to drive to Bellfield (just between Ivanhoe and Heidelberg in Melbourne)?

Wasabi - How much do you want to get rid of?

I would be keen to take about half that. Does anyone else wnat some rice hulls that is prepared to drive to Bellfield (just between Ivanhoe and Heidelberg in Melbourne)?
Pip,

Now that sounds like a bulk buy!

Make sure you've got room for it as a 125 kg bale is about 1 cubic metre and will take up some serious space - I had one in my garage for quite some time and it was a PITA. IIRC Grain & Grape used to get it in 25 kg packs, might be worth giving them a ring and see if they still do.

You'll only need about 1 kg of rice hulls per 5 kg of malt/grain so 125 kg should make you about 2,500 litres of gluten free beer - your girlfriend must be plenty thirsty. :p

Cheers, Andrew.

Sorry Pip. Yahoo decided that AHB has just become a spammer so I didn't get the update.

I'll check at Uni to see how much we have left. I think there are about two bags, but they are very light. But you don't need that much.

We had some lauter problems that we tried to address with the hulls, but didn't work, so we are stuck with them. They were just going to go to my chooks.

Pip, where exactly did you track this price down to? Are you still looking for someone to go halves on a 125kg bale???

bbbeezz

Latest posts

Back