Rice Hulls In Brissy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:beer:
Hey Pete
Let me Know when your comeing and Ill Meet you at Ross`s Place.
Cheers Altstart

I will bloodywell drive you there Pete, but you gotta drive home. Plenty of room in the Cruiser for the goods.

Ross said:
TidalPete said:
Ross said:
Can someone please tell me what they are paying for rice hulls - & what quantity the price is for??
cheers Ross
[post="117885"][/post]​

Bump. Anyone found a source of good clean rice hulls in Brizzy?

:beer:
[post="121635"][/post]​

Pete,

I've found some, just got to work out the logistics of handling them.
I'm having a large storage shed built in the next few weeks, which will enable me to store grain & other products. I'll keep you posted.

cheers Ross
[post="121637"][/post]​
Excellent, I will be up for some soon too.

Hoops

Screwtop said:
I will bloodywell drive you there Pete, but you gotta drive home. Plenty of room in the Cruiser for the goods.
[post="121677"][/post]​

Swing past my place on the way :( please. Oh and I try not to drive [cars that is]. :D :D I will help pay for fuel :blink: what am I saying>

Sounds like another SC pick-up run, you will have to stocktake after we leave Ross, have been known to leave with more than we have paid for, ask Batz :D

Ok Guys/Gals

Rice Hulls are here - I won't put on the CraftBrewer website until I work out the most economical/practical way of packaging them.
So for now collection only & bring a bag. $1.50 per kg or $1.00 per kg for orders 10kg & over.

Cheers Ross...

woo-hoo :beerbang:

How much would you need for say 5kg of 100% wheat?

Cheer
Jye :beer:

Got it, about 5-10% of the grist weight.

My understanding of rice hulls is that they make sparging easier without adding any flavour or colour. I read on Brewboard earlier this year (pre-server crash) that someone had done an experiment by placing some rice hulls in a cup and making a 'tea' using water of typical mash temp. They reported that the rice hulls changed the colour of the water and the flavour of the water after was quite bad. From then on they rinsed the rice hulls several times prior to adding them into the mash tun.

Can someone please sacrifice some rice hulls and do the same experiment and report back here? - for the greater good of course ;)

doglet said:
My understanding of rice hulls is that they make sparging easier without adding any flavour or colour. I read on Brewboard earlier this year (pre-server crash) that someone had done an experiment by placing some rice hulls in a cup and making a 'tea' using water of typical mash temp. They reported that the rice hulls changed the colour of the water and the flavour of the water after was quite bad. From then on they rinsed the rice hulls several times prior to adding them into the mash tun.

Can someone please sacrifice some rice hulls and do the same experiment and report back here? - for the greater good of course ;)
[post="124101"][/post]​

Yes can someone do that?

Ross perhaps???

Cheers
Batz

doglet said:

[post="124101"][/post]​

Thanks for the heads up after just buying 125kg of them :unsure:

Anyway, several commercial micros use these from the same stockist, so I'm guessing (hoping) all's ok - That aside, I'll run a test & report back...

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross. I could be overly cautious but I only want to use ingredients of value in my brews - good sanitation, good flavours (malt, hops and yeast) and rice hulls, if really needed, as long as they are there to only ease sparging and not adding anything else. I'm sure yours will be ok if other micros are using them.

PS - Great packaging on the hops I received last week. I was very impressed. Thanks!

Either way I'll still grab around 20kg.

Hoops

Usefull for 80 yrs of homebrewing

......or 1 years crop from a hydroponic setup?

Which is it?.

Brent

Warren- a 'Barley' field will lauter itself.......

warrenlw63 said:
Hoops

20kg Will lauter a Barley Field. :lol:

Warren -
[post="124130"][/post]​
Really? Haven't even checked up - what's the ratio of grain/rice hulls?
I had my worst stuck sparge ever on the weekend doing a wit, I am going to add some standard from now on in all brews just as insurance, with a heap extra in wheats

Hoops

Hoops said:
Either way I'll still grab around 20kg.

Hoops
[post="124128"][/post]​

Yep and 10 kg for me as well Ross

Batz

Hoops said:
warrenlw63 said:
Hoops

Warren -
[post="124130"][/post]​
I had my worst stuck sparge ever on the weekend doing a wit, I am going to add some standard from now on in all brews just as insurance, with a heap extra in wheats

Hoops
[post="124132"][/post]​

Ha ha, i knew you had jinxed yourself! How did the chiller work out?

Well did the test, 3/4 filled a glass with rice hulls & topped up with 65c water & left till cold.

Didn't have any coffee filter paper to remove any fine particles, so tried using some kitchen towel - not that satisfactory but stopped most of the bits.

Resulting liquid had a slight tinge & I could detect a light grainy taste to the liquid - it was actually quite pleasent :). My method wasn't very good & I will retry when I have something better to filter out the particles. Either way. I'm sure the small percentage used in a beer & the resulting boil etc would result in nothing detectable. I'll certainly be using them...

Cheers Ross

jgriffin said:
Hoops said:
warrenlw63 said:
Hoops

Warren -
[post="124130"][/post]​

Hoops
[post="124132"][/post]​

Ha ha, i knew you had jinxed yourself! How did the chiller work out?
[post="124141"][/post]​
Yeah was a bugger of a brew day.
I couldn't get the parts to finish off the CFWC from any local hardware stores :angry: went to 3 different stores today - none have 3/8" compression fittings! so it's off to Tony Powell's Plumbing again. Had to use the immersion chiller again, but should be right to give the CFWC a run next brew.

Hoops

Latest posts

Back