Rice Hulls In Brissy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross said:
Well did the test.......
Cheers Ross
[post="124143"][/post]​

Thanks Ross for doing the test. I was only going by on what I read elsewhere and I my local supplier never has rice hulls in stock for me to do my own test. I think it comes down to where the rice hulls come from and obviously your supply is good.
Cheers
Tim

I am attempting to make some gluten free beer today with malted sorghum. As this grain has no husk I am using about 15% rice hulls to help with the sparge. Using sorghum requires a decoction type mash regime and the grist needs to be boiled for 20 mins. I am mashing in a bag and to avoid hassle I want to add the rice hulls to the grist at the start of the process. Has anyone had any experience in boiling rice hulls in there process or can forsee any problems with this. I am concerned boiling them may extract tannins and therefore leave an astringent taste in the beer. As a bit of an experiment I have boiled a small amount of rice hulls to see what the resulting liquid tastes like. My only conclusion is that it darkens the water it boils in and tastes grainy/ricey. Any thoughts on any other problems?

Cheers
Mothballs

I am attempting to make some gluten free beer today with malted sorghum. As this grain has no husk I am using about 15% rice hulls to help with the sparge. Using sorghum requires a decoction type mash regime and the grist needs to be boiled for 20 mins. I am mashing in a bag and to avoid hassle I want to add the rice hulls to the grist at the start of the process. Has anyone had any experience in boiling rice hulls in there process or can forsee any problems with this. I am concerned boiling them may extract tannins and therefore leave an astringent taste in the beer. As a bit of an experiment I have boiled a small amount of rice hulls to see what the resulting liquid tastes like. My only conclusion is that it darkens the water it boils in and tastes grainy/ricey. Any thoughts on any other problems?

Cheers
Mothballs

Their is a link I will have to find it for you which stats their is no such thing as gluten free beer.
Anything which is malt, yeast, well grain is all gluten.

JDSaint I think that you are horribly incorrect in your statement that all grain is all gluten. Maybe you should have a search on this forum or google for gluten free beer to see that gluten free beer can indeed be made.

cheers
Mothballs

JDSaint I think that you are horribly incorrect in your statement that all grain is all gluten. Maybe you should have a search on this forum or google for gluten free beer to see that gluten free beer can indeed be made.

cheers
Mothballs

sorry sofar I can not find the article I am after and apoligise, as I did search for this cause my mother in law :) ( bless her soul) :blink: suffers from celiac disease and loves beer but now can only drink bunderburg rum which has no gluten B)

do a search for millett... you should find it under that

sorry sofar I can not find the article I am after and apoligise, as I did search for this cause my mother in law :) ( bless her soul) :blink: suffers from celiac disease and loves beer but now can only drink bunderburg rum which has no gluten B)

Jdsaint,

there are commercial beers on the mark made for Celiacs - Made by a Company called Silly Yak foods

cheers Ross

Not only are there gluten free beers, there was an entire festival dedicated to them in 2006.

Green's is the biggest producer of gluten free beers in the UK as far as I'm aware.

O'Briens are an Australian producer.

There are a few producers in the US too, infact in this month's BYO magazine there is an article about gluten-free brewing.

And I believe one of our members, Millet Man, is involved in a gluten free malting operation here in Australia. Do a search on his posts, you'll find loads of info.

Latest posts

Back