Reversing a MaltMuncher Mill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takai

Reaction score
Finally got around to setting up the motor for the Maltmuncher.
20150309-210007-iPhone.JPG

But kind of forgot to check one critical aspect... direction of rotation. :blush:

While i currently have the little motor wired in reverse polarity, it doesnt sound particularly happy about it. Im thinking about seeing if i can disassemble the Maltmuncher to swap the driven roller around. I would just flip it upside down but then the mounting for the hopper and plate bolts would be the wrong way around.

I havnt seen an exploded diagram for it, but it sounds like it is just the shaft rolling on brass bushings. So has anyone disassembled their Maltmuncher?

simply remove the powered roller and switch it around so the pin is sticking out the other side, this will in effect change the rotation to the other direction though you will then have to spin the whole thing on your mounting plate, and will need to remount the motor as it will be set for the opposite roller. bit of mucking about but worth it. just insure to be careful with the mills bolts they can strip. Also make sure you have it all square or it will bind up

MastersBrewery said:
simply remove the powered roller and switch it around so the pin is sticking out the other side, this will in effect change the rotation to the other direction though you will then have to spin the whole thing on your mounting plate, and will need to remount the motor as it will be set for the opposite roller. bit of mucking about but worth it. just insure to be careful with the mills bolts they can strip. Also make sure you have it all square or it will bind up
Spinning it 180deg wont help, angular rotation is still the same, and there is only a drive shaft out one side.

Flipping it in place will work, but the mounting bolts are directional, and hence it wont mount, as noted above.

Hence asking if anyone has stripped one apart. Failing this i will strip it apart...

Where are you located Takai? Just retired my wiper motor off my minimill which had a clockwise rotation.

Im in Prahran. About 12hrs ago i was in Mooroolbark... always the way.

takai said:
Spinning it 180deg wont help, angular rotation is still the same, and there is only a drive shaft out one side.

Flipping it in place will work, but the mounting bolts are directional, and hence it wont mount, as noted above.

Hence asking if anyone has stripped one apart. Failing this i will strip it apart...
think about that for a second. if the drive arm were sticking out the other side (you have to disassemble to do this), and you then rotated the whole mill the drive arm would be fartherest from the camera as it is it's closest to the camera. stop making me type one handed I'm right on this. and yes fliping it will work but as you said you then couldnt attach the hopper.
TRUST ME

MastersBrewery said:
think about that for a second. if the drive arm were sticking out the other side (you have to disassemble to do this), and you then rotated the whole mill the drive arm would be fartherest from the camera as it is it's closest to the camera. stop making me type one handed I'm right on this. and yes fliping it will work but as you said you then couldnt attach the hopper.
TRUST ME
Uh, and the drive arm ISNT sticking out the other side. Hence the mill shaft need to be reversed in the housing. Which requires disassembly of the mill itself Which is EXACTLY why i posted this thread....

You may be correct, but you are merely repeating the evidential basis that this thread is built upon, rather than adding information.

mills of all descriptions need to be pulled down at some point down the road, the added information you skimmed being to ensure you were careful with the screws as they can strip out , and to ensure everything was square when reassembling, i have one of these mills, i had to pull mine down because grain caught inside the adjustment assembly and jammed the roller. lets face it I've spent more time typing kaky handed than it would take to undo the 8 screws.

I'd be taking MB's helpful advice and pulling that sucker apart and swapping the driven roller end to end. Doesn't look hard.
But ease up on the mollydooker sledging MB. We have feelings you know!

Fair cop, I read it as you were suggesting that but hadnt pulled one down yourself. Will probably get around to swapping it about tonight.

Figured there was no time like the present, so with the little man looking on from his pram i did this:
20150310-102516-iPhone_001.JPG

That picture really says everything i was looking for in this thread. Also highlights that i need to vacuum my workbench again.

Back