Reusing Cubes That Contained Tough Chemicals.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goatchop41 said:
Also check with Veterinary clinics - a lot of them get distilled water in 20-25L HDPE cubes.

One place where you don't want to get them even though they have heaps - dry cleaning businesses. I spotted some at my local and they let me have them. Got them home and checked the labels - all of them had some variety of warning about the contents being poisonous or corrosive....No thank you. They went straight back to the bin at the back door of the dry cleaners!
We also get them with Methanol or Ethanol in them
I'm going to try some Methanol ones once they're emptied, will rinse them out with ethanol before a PBW soak

Without wanting to sound like a dickhead, how cheap are you people? Cubes are cheap and widely available. The blue ones from Bunnings are fine you can get ones from Keg King cheaply that work fine. Or you could even get a FWK and use the cube that it comes in.

GalBrew said:
Without wanting to sound like a dickhead, how cheap are you people? Cubes are cheap and widely available. The blue ones from Bunnings are fine you can get ones from Keg King cheaply that work fine. Or you could even get a FWK and use the cube that it comes in.
Because I live out west and we don't have a Bunnings within a 1.5 hr round trip, there is no LHBS and the cubes/jerries that Repco/Supercheap sell are thin as fark and sag badly
Not all of us have the luxury of having these things locally

Yes they are inexpensive but if you can get them for nothing and are fine to use, then why not???

The ones I got were given to me but after the helpful discussion here I decided not to use them and went to Bunnings and bought one.

sp0rk said:
Because I live out west and we don't have a Bunnings within a 1.5 hr round trip, there is no LHBS and the cubes/jerries that Repco/Supercheap sell are thin as fark and sag badly
Not all of us have the luxury of having these things locally
I would be making the effort to go out and get a few new cubes rather than use ones that have held methanol in them. Back in the old days long drives to various homebrew shops to get equipment or ingredients was the norm.

We'll see what happens, I have tank water now so I might even just start chilling

Latest posts

Back