Reusing Cubes That Contained Tough Chemicals.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n4077113

Reaction score
Ive got a good supply of cubes for free from the place I work (kitchen restaurant), problem is they've all had bad ass chemicals in them.

I can't get the chemical smell out of them (or maybe its the fragrance), they contained different commercial chemicals, for instance Multi purpose heavy duty cleaner, Active constituents 27g/L Alkaline salts.

Ive tried;

-bleach
-Sun
-detergent
-vinegar (ie acidic to neutralize alkaline?)

anyone got any cheap fixes (poverty stricken student) or experience in reusing cubes in a similar situation. I realize it may be a case by case (chemical) thing....
Guess I need an odour removing product ( someone suggested I try beer line cleaner which I haven't yet.)

Cheer

Just buy new cubes.

Is it really worth stuffing around with? You're probibly never going to get all the chemicals out of the plastic. Best case, your beer tastes like crap. Worst case you die.

Ditch them and buy new ones.

nasty chemicals = bad shit.

Get new cubes, man. Seriously, before you do yourself a damage.

Wow, I wouldn't even contemplate this in my wildest dreams or darkest days.

Seriously, it's a *huge* risk you're contemplating taking.

Hey,

Thanks for the advice....

Vedict; Ditch the dodgy cubes, eat more noodles (mi goreng), buy new cubes.

Cheers

Hey,

Thanks for the advice....

Vedict; Ditch the dodgy cubes, eat more noodles (mi goreng), buy new cubes.

Cheers

Pheew, goodonya :beer:

BTW, where are you. I have some jerrys that I am not using

I've come across some ex cleaner cubes where the ingrained fragrance is an absolute b*tch to remove. Neither bleach nor percarbonate nor detergent (oxy bleach) work - an appropriate solvent is required. Currently experimenting with methylated spirits followed by Shellite, as both leave reasonably clean residues and have different polarities. No results to report yet, stay tuned ...

nice one dude.. cleaning your dirty cubes by filling them with refined petroleum... :rolleyes:

buy new ones...

nice one dude.. cleaning your dirty cubes by filling them with refined petroleum... :rolleyes:

buy new ones...

WOW, confidence is a wonderful thing. May we assume then that you have chemical training and some experience with that particular solvent?

Cost of solvent + time cleaning + potential health risk + potential flavour contamination vs minimal cost of 20 L cube from Bunnings?

Each to their own but I can't imagine it's worth the bother

+1 for buying a new one. They are only a few $$

Or you can go to an LHBS that sells FWK's and pay the huge sum of $2 per cube. I know which I do!!

WOW, confidence is a wonderful thing. May we assume then that you have chemical training and some experience with that particular solvent?

Didn't mean to offend... but seriously.. sometimes common sense wins out over trying to be cheap/green, especially when health is involved.... consider my comment looking out for a fellow AHBer's wellbeing :)

..for the record, i hold a BSc(Medicinal chemistry), currently doing honors and about 10 mins away from organising my PhD, so yeah. You can assume i know a little bit about solvents (but note i'm not trying to be egotistical or tooting my horn here.. just stating.)

If you do want to be green and reuse cubes or containers, make sure whoever you get them off can absolutely guarantee (with msds if possible) that all stored constituents were food grade/food safe, or are water soluble and you can identify the possible risk installed - otherwise its just insane trying to save a few bucks and ending up with a busted liver which will cost you upwards of 10's of thousands :)

i work in a kitchen and I'm sure if the joint is big enough (mine not that big and i still use em) they have "cubes" that has had normal dish-washing detergent..

as for these chems killing you, guys these are used on food prep surfaces (HDC Heavy Duty Cleaner, is a pink soap and caustic degreaser)

line cleaner wont do it nether will caustic you will need an acid, like vinegar to start that will neutralize the chemical. then rinse with boiling water, the HDC drums you might not have much luck with, try the dish washing machine detergent (also hit with lots of vinegar and hot water) as they have no soap or smell just a caustic solution, or even the grill cleaner normally has no fragrance but is REALLY caustic so be dam careful as it will burn your skin. but vinegar will neutralize all the nasties.. not so much the smells

Seems strange dicussing certain flavours created by different pitching rates, ferment temps, yeast strains etc on one hand,w hile storing hot/cooling beer in a container with even the slightest residual odour..

+1 Lloydie

I have enough trouble just keeping my clean cubes free from smells and flavours, let alone stuffing around with nasty residues from the original ingredients.

If a cube is in the least bit suspect, I ditch it. I don't have tons of money to throw around either, but be damned if I am going to ruin a beer with some chemical residue flavour, unless it comes in Amarillo flavour that is!

Crundle

Latest posts

Back