Report: Yeast Effect On Beer Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here is the goss from bintani:

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we do not as yet have US-56
packaged in the familiar 11.5g sachet. However we do hope to have them
available some time in August or September this year.

As for the use of US-56, the info below may be of assistance . . .
Ingredients:
Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), rehydrating agent

Properties:
The most famous ale yeast strain found across America, now available as
a ready-to-pitch dry yeast. Produces well balanced beers with low diacetyl
and a very clean, crisp end palate. Sedimentation: low to medium. Final
gravity: medium.

Dosage:
50 g/hl to 80 g/hl. (11.5g/22 - 25litre)

Pitching instructions:

Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to
pitching. Sprinkle the dry yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile
water or wort at 27C 3C. Once the expected weight of dry yeast is
reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to 30 minutes),
maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant
cream into the fermentation vessel.

Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel
providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C. Progressively sprinkle
the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of
wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix
the wort e.g. using aeration.

Fermentation temperature:

Recommended fermentation temperature: 15C - 24C.

Packaging:
4 display units x 38 x 11.5g nitrogen-flushed sachets (available
Aug/Sep 2004).

20 x 500g vacuum-packed sachets in cardboard outer.

1 x 10 kg vacuum-packed sachet in cardboard outer.

Storage:
Store in cool (< 10C), dry conditions.

Opened sachets must be sealed and stored at 4C and used within 7 days
of opening.

I trust the above to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to ask should
your require additional information.

Kind regards, Pete

Peter Meddings
Bintani Australia Pty Ltd
Postal: PO Box 2069 Hampton East 3188 Victoria, Australia
Office: 5 / 2-4 Sibthorpe Street, Mordialloc 3195 Victoria, Australia
Tel: + 61 (0)3 9580 3566 Fax: + 61(0)3 9580 3588

Ben said:
morry i see you are in melb. Grain and Grape sell the whole range of wyeast, infact they are the importers...
Grain & Grape is a terrific shop - never been there as I'm in NSW but they have a very good mail order service.

cheers
reg

sosman said:
Dosage:
50 g/hl to 80 g/hl. (11.5g/22 - 25litre)
Nothing wrong with pitching a bit more to overcome any insufficiencies.
I think the best thing about it is in 15 minutes you know it is ready as it foams and froths almost immediately.
Certainly takes the three day step-up of yeast out of my brew day.
Darren

Had another taste of the California Ale APA tonight, i'm still amazed that it tastes so much like a weak megaswill beer, which does seem to make it a bit dangerous due to the decent alcohol content. I'm still in shock.

Is WL California ale definitely 1056? Like Deebee says, my split batch of 1056 and 1272 was pretty subtle. And having tasted that brew quite a few times with age, I am leaning towards 1056 as being a better yeast for these beers than 1272. There is plenty of malt and hop flavour in the brews I have done with 1056. Yours is an interesting result.

Yes, but a fair few people seem to assume that WLP001 and Wyeast 1056 are the same, sourced from the Sierra Nevada chico yeast. I was wondering if anyone knew how valid that assumption was, given the different results.

An update from bintani:

Hello Paul,

Many thanks for your email for which I'm sorry to come back with no exciting
news. Unfortunately US-56 x 11.5g now appears will not be available till
late November or more so some time in December. The reason for this delay
is the actual sachet material and the name change from DCL to Fermentis.
Apparently they are to run out all the S-23 & S-04 DCL sachet material prior
to launching all the 11.5g sachets in new Fermentis packaging. I wish to
mention, to date we have had great success with US-56 in 500g sachets in the
micro brewing area,. which I'm sure the smaller home brewers will also enjoy
the same success when the 11.g packs do become available.

I have been reading this thread with interest because of something I did before this was posted.
I made my usual Oktoberfest smokie , but this time I increased the smoke malt and was a little worried it would be too much.

Now I usually use Munich 2308 for my Oktoberfests , but come time to pitch I had an accident with the starter and knocked it over , rather than use a dried yeast I had a California 2112 ready for a steam beer , so I pitched this instead.

Today after somethime in CC I kegged and bottled the brew , I of course tasted it , hardly any malt flavour came through , smoke is almost not detectable , hops can't find them !
Very disapointing as this is one of my favorite brews.

So yes I agree this yeast make tons of difference to a brew.
Next Oktoberfest will use a different yeast again , Oktoberfest 2633

In fact 2112 is now off my yeast list

"Sorry but I don't like it !"

Batz

i have also found this yeast to take out all the flavours....thought it was just me

however in my steam beer it tastes good with flavours all there.... so i dunno

Someone is going to state the odvious you know Ben , use the correct yeasts in the correct styles and they work well :blink:

Interesting experiment with this yeast anyway

batz - true!

but the calif has malt flavour and there is heaps of hops! (more than i wantd even)

however in the other beers, lagers etc it was left lifeless.... who knows.. now on that note i will grab another steam beer, now that i have cleaned all my beer line (i never thought they could have been that dirty)

Temperture maybe the answer there Ben , I did ferment at a few degrees below recommended

great post on yeast.sorry batz only just read it and looks like we miss out on darrens offer.am keen otherwise.
deebee is spot on as at gl,s brew day he had two same same brews with 1056 and 1272 and there was a difference in taste.both gave different taste impressions.
goes to show yeasts do contribute a huge amount to a beers profile.worth a test some time if your ever in doubt.

cheers
big d

Good Day
An interesting topic. The WLP810 San Fran is my most used lager yeast. I use it for all styles from Bohemian pilsners to doppelbocks. To me it is a "malty" yeast and you might need to increase the IBU's a bit to balance it depending on the style.
I have even used it for steam beer every so often.
All the best, Barry

Guest Lurker said:
Like Deebee says, my split batch of 1056 and 1272 was pretty subtle. And having tasted that brew quite a few times with age, I am leaning towards 1056 as being a better yeast for these beers than 1272. There is plenty of malt and hop flavour in the brews I have done with 1056. Yours is an interesting result.
I was completely the opposite GL, I thought the 1272 was streets ahead of the 1056 when I tried them :) Visually the 1272 was a lot clearer as well.

I guess it shows that while yeasts affect the flavour, people also have different tastes so an average yeast to someone is a great yeast to another person. :p

Lucky there are so many types of yeast available.

The yeast was wyeast 2112 barry , and the oktoberfest is one of my standard brews, the IBU's and malts always the same.

Batz

Batz you will get to taste 2112 in a different guise in the Gropers' Chrissie Case. I am putting my Skunk Steam Lagerale in there. Basically an APA with the Calif lager yeast, brewed at around 16*C.

An oktoberfest without malty flavours is a disappointment, but it seems to be fairly versatile yeast that works well in other beers. I haven't read too many complaints about it.

Just a quick note and report on the new dry yeast US56, i brewed up 50 litres of skunk fart last week and used the dry yeast in it, it is still fermenting but so far it is coming along swimmingly :p
Nice ale fruitiness fermenting at 20c, can't wait for the beer to be in the keg. :chug:
The fruit flavour is much the same as the wyeast 1272 so far.
will report back when its ready and i have a few pints in me. :chug:

Jayse

Well, Ive got 2 pints of APA in me, and I'm changing my mind again. At 5 months old, the slight sweetness that I thought put the 1272 out of balance is gone and its a nice fruity yet dryish drop. While the 1056 at 5 months old has lost a lot of both malt and hop flavour, while retaining the same hop bitterness, so now the 1056 is more out of balance. Might go back to the 1272 for the next one. But either way these APAs seem to peak early, at 5 months they are losing it a bit.

Back