Replacing Font Beer Lines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsv_069

Reaction score
I recently purchased a secondhand font from ebay and want to give it the once over before I hook it up to my chest freezer. The lines that are currently fitted to it are pretty average so I was thinking of replacing them. The problem that I have is the current lines that are fitted are 4mmID and 6mmOD whereas my current setup is using 5mmID and 8mm OD lines. I think I have 3 options:

1. Replace the lines for the system with 4mmID 6mmOD however Im not too sure how readily available this is as I cant see it advertised on too many sites. Will a change in diameter make a big difference to the system setup? I also think this size tube will be incredibly hard to fit over the keg disconnects as well.

2. Replace the font with 4mmID and 6mmOD lines and run an adaptor between my current setup and the new font lines.

3. Replace the font with 5mmID and 8mmOD lines however i think there will be a bit of work involved with this one. Firstly I will have to buy new fittings that go into the back of the tap fittings that will accept the larger OD tube. I think I have found the right part on the ncraftbrewer website but will just have to double check that these will fit the thread.

straightadaptor.JPG

I also think I may have a bit of trouble fitting the lines through the brass fittings at the bottom of the font. I have tried with a small piece of left over line and it was a tight fit but Im hoping with a bit of patience i should be able to get them all through. Im not exactly sure what these fittings are for but im guessing its some kind of seal for the glycol setup? Are they necessary and can they be removed and the font still flooded. I tried to upload a picture of them but I was unable to for some reason. I will try again later

I want to get this sorted so I can order parts and enjoy my new toy.

Any ideas appriciated.

i suggest you ring one of the online sponsors or your LBHS that sells keggin gear and speak with them. im sure they will offer you a world of solutions.

Back