Removing Krausen Collar In Bar Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromesphere

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So im still waiting on the temp controller to show up before I can start my first brew...hoping not too much longer im getting impatient!

I've been going through a few things in my head so im relatively prepared when I make my first batch and was thinking of a possible problem.

I have the coopers kit FV with the krausen collar. It fits in the bar fridge that I scored with the Krausen Collar attached. But there is no way of removing the collar without pulling the FV out of the fridge and potentially disturbing the turb. So I guess I have 2 options, remove the collar and potentially disturb the turb or just leave it and soak the collar after I bottle and clean it then (with no harsh scrubbing).

What do you guys think? Sorry for the simple question.

Cheers
CS

Unless you are doing a 25ltr+ brew just don't use the collar. No need for it otherwise.

Thanks guys, I thought the collar would be needed for the froth...ahh..cake...from overflowing if not that's great, ill leave it off even better!

EDIT: Oh I see, read a bit more into it. There is enough room in the FV (23 litres) and the Krausen Collar is pretty much optional. That's great, now there is loads of room in the barfridge where as with the krausen collar there was only about 1cm clearance.

Can I ask what bar fridge you have that fits the Coopers fermenter?

Of course!

Its a Kelvinator 140L bar fridge. I had been looking for a full size fridge for about a month when I saw this guy chucking this bar fridge out on the side of the road. Now I had read many times barfridges are often to small for FV's but I thought, what the hell. I really wanted a bar fridge for size reasons. Anyway, He helped me put it in my car :D It was moldy and needed a clean but came up nice. Couldn't be more then 5-10 years old really..

I can fit the FV in there with the Krausen collar but I have to take the door off the little freezing unit (easy to do obviously), leaves approx. 1 cm space above the lid.

Photos attached.

20141210_084047.jpg

20141211_214758.jpg

20141211_214816.jpg

Hope this helps for the next one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7iejC1Trqg&list=PL05CxQtuHy_UkgpRaBvpc6sU3VHblz_Gn&index=5

thanks wereprawn good info! I turned the fridge on to check that the freezer compartment got cold and it did but I didn't leave it on long enough to see if it would actually freeze! Will have to try that out.

*trub
Froth cake = krausen

I think it is just meant to make clean up easier. Ie throw in dishwasher. My coopers fv is a dedicated ginger beer fermentor now but I only ever used the collar once or twice.

Back