Rehydrating Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As per the manufacturer's instructions.

penrithbeerclub said:
How do i rehydrate Yeast?

Thanks
go to the web site mr malty.com. a lot of info can also be found on podcast's such as basic brewing radio and beersmith,just scroll through the podcast titles and bingo. cheers..spog....

Disperse A Sachet oF yeast into a Flask of 27*C Sterile water. :D

'tis true. Fermentis prefer/recommend slightly cooler temps than Danstar/Lallemand etc. when rehydrating. Recommended pitching rates etc. vary between manufacturers also.

For e.g. see http://www.danstaryeast.com/products ...then google Fermentis etc (i.e. whichever brand yeast you are using) and you will find straight forward info as well as .pdf files that can be downloaded and read at your leisure.

Good brewing! :icon_cheers:

edit - whoa, three updates at 8.28 haha - my 'tis true quip refers to Bum's post.

Lol

Thats what i was doing until someone told me you can kill off most of the yeast by dumping them in that murcky water

I've never really understood why this is such a huge argument between homebrewers. Every brewing forum/podcast/video/whatever on the internet has at least 25,000 arguments about rehydrating dry yeast.

It's free, it takes <5 minutes of effort, and it improves yeast health and viability. People will spend hundreds of dollars on stir plates and flasks and yeast nutrients and oxygen injection systems and who knows what else to improve yeast health, but rehydration is somehow "a waste of time" or "unnecessary". :unsure:

If you don't rehydrate, your beer will probably turn out fine, but why not take (literally) two minutes of time/effort to help your yeast out?

Please, don't let this turn into another thread about pitching rates, hydrate/don't hydrate... I've still got a headache from the last time!

That's basically my point. OP asks a question about rehydration and straight away the "I don't rehydrate, never have" responses start coming in. It happens every single time.

It is worth pointing out that direct pitching is a better idea than rehydrating poorly.

Find out what the manufacturer recommends. Do that or direct pitch (which is sometimes what the manufacturer recommends).

Anyone who argues that *insert practice* still makes "just as good beer" needs to access a microscope and methylene blue.

If you wish to look after your yeast, do it, or at least try it and see if you feel the extra effort is worth it.

BTW I love the fact that you are appreciating beer in Penrith, I never thought I'd see those words together. Maybe one day I'll open a swanky brewery in the Dru.

Camo6 said:
Disperse A Sachet oF yeast into a Flask of 27*C Sterile water. :D
DASFFS

If that's not the easiest thing to remember then I don't know what else would be.

EDIT: Oh hang on, I really needed to spell that out myself to get the joke. I've said it before, time for bed!

Sorry flo theres been a misunderstanding. I have a sticky shift key from spilt beer. I would never encourage searching. Its against the rules.

So..........whats the difference between re-hydrating yeast in a small container vs a large container...........

Simply put, the OP asked how people rehydrate their yeast. Of course he meant outside of the fermenter, otherwise the question is invalid. The OP didn't ask for this thread to be turned into an argument/discussion/bitch session, he simply wanted an answer to his question. Sure, he didn't search, but shit... mountains and molehills come to mind.

How I do it, is to boil some water - usually 150mL or so, dump it into a pyrex jug, cover it in glad wrap, wait for it to get down to whatever temperature range the yeast manufacturer recommends it be rehydrated at, pitch the yeast, let it sit for about half an hour then give it a good stir and pitch into the brew. Easy as. I mainly started because when I tip a cube of wort into the FV it foams up shitloads and dry yeast just sits on the foam for god knows how long before it gets into the brew. Rehydrated yeast just goes straight through the foam into the wort. I don't know how big of an issue that is but I'd prefer the yeast in there as quick as possible for mine.

I make beer, wine and cider. If I pitch direct into wine or cider the yeast really struggles, but pitching direct into beer I never have any problems. Now I always rehydrate for wine or cider but I don't bother for beer, and I know others with the same practices. Of course rehydrating is good practise but tradition seems to favour direct pitching for beer at home.

Back