Rehydrating Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a read of this http://koehlerbeer.com/2008/06/07/rehydrat...r-clayton-cone/

It's best to follow the manufacturers specific instructions for each yeast strain though.

Cool - thanks. So that answers the question of potential damage done by rehydrating too hot. Since the Safale specs state 27C +/- 3C I guess I was up to 10C too hot! So fermentation is likely to take a bit longer.

Any comments on the other questions? :icon_cheers:

1. Answered.
  2. Wouldn't properly rehydrating and proofing your yeast increase the cell-count (before it is pitched)? I.e. wouldn't the numbers in the maths quoted earlier in the thread need to be adjusted for the cell count when the mixture is pitched?
  3. According to Palmer, the rehydrated yeast is pitched before pouring in the cooled wort. There is no recommendation to mix. I assume by doing things in this order the yeast is well mixed with the wort "for free". Funny thing is, almost everywhere else I have seen (this forum included) describes pitching on top of the wort. Any reason not to follow Palmer's advice?

None at all - either way works fine.

cheers Ross

# Wouldn't properly rehydrating and proofing your yeast increase the cell-count (before it is pitched)? I.e. wouldn't the numbers in the maths quoted earlier in the thread need to be adjusted for the cell count when the mixture is pitched?
Yes, with proper rehydration you can recover 100% of the yeast cells, as for the optimum pitching rate I would check with the mrmalty calculator.

# According to Palmer, the rehydrated yeast is pitched before pouring in the cooled wort. There is no recommendation to mix. I assume by doing things in this order the yeast is well mixed with the wort "for free". Funny thing is, almost everywhere else I have seen (this forum included) describes pitching on top of the wort. Any reason not to follow Palmer's advice?
I'm don't think before or after would make a difference. Whichever way you do it, it's recommended to get your yeast to within 8c or less before pitching, otherwise you may shock the yeast.

Great - appreciate the quick responses.

Main takeaway from me is if I bother to rehydrate next time I should make sure I do it properly, according to specs. Otherwise my attempts may in fact result in a lower cell count going in the fermenter than if I'd just dry pitched anyway <_<

Cheers.

Bit of n00b question but what is the benefit of rehydrating yeast?
Is it just so ur yeast cells work better/more effectively?

Reading this I assume its easy as putting yeast into the correct temperature water and letting it settle before adding to the wurt?

Check the first page of the thread for instructions and info on why it can be beneficial.

Latest posts

Back