Rehydrating Dry Yeast - Conflicting Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rehydrating yeast at 35-40 isn't putting it under stress. Yeast actually prefers those temps (just ask your girlfriend with the yeast infection) but it makes fusel rich beers if you ferment at those temps.

I've brewed many times commercially with S-04 and US-05 (1200 litre batches) and always rehydrated at those temps with extraordinarily reliable attenuation.

US-05 is slower to finish but it always managed to get to a fifth of original gravity.

tdh

Slightly OT:

I notice a shorter lag if I rehydrate.

If I am lazy and have a decent gravity, I pitch dry and just use twice the quantity of yeast (ie 24g). I figure it will go into anaerobic fermentation quicker with a larger population and hopefully just be quick and clean to finish.

23 posts and we`re back to the thread title..... which is "conflicting advice".
A sub thread is in order...... "conflicting advice on the conflicting advice" :lol:

stagga.

Fermentis Product Sheet

I always pitch around US-05 @ 26-30deg DRY or SLURRY (never rehydrated)no probs yet (fingers crossed)

The only yeast I've ever stuffed was a rehydrated Coopers one, that's why I never touch it.
If ya want liquid yeast, buy it IMHO

Slightly OT:

If I am lazy and have a decent gravity, I pitch dry and just use twice the quantity of yeast (ie 24g). I figure it will go into anaerobic fermentation quicker with a larger population and hopefully just be quick and clean to finish.

I also notice a significantly shorter lag time after re-hydrating (24hrs v 36hrs). A number of years ago, I read this great article View attachment Dry_Yeast_Rehydration.doc which recommends rehydrating everytime at the upper range between 34-40C. I'm sorry the article doesn't include the author or references - it was a rush cut and paste job for my info only at the time, but I believe I got it from a thread on AHB, and the language suggests it is written by one of the dry yeast manufacturers.

Cheers - Snow.

It would be interesting to know the max. pitches using slurry from an original dry yeast anyone has done?
Yes, I know it`s only $4 or so per pack so why reuse, but I like to push to the limit.

stagga.

It would be interesting to know the max. pitches using slurry from an original dry yeast anyone has done?
Yes, I know it`s only $4 or so per pack so why reuse, but I like to push to the limit.

stagga.

I've got two AG's fermenting now on 1/2 each pack of US-05 pitched dry into fermenter with cube drained in at height @ 28deg OG 1044/11 Brix three days ago.

Allowed to slowly cool to 18deg in fermenting fridge.

One is sitting at 1024/7.8 and other is at 1021/7.4

I'll give it a day or two and then I'll rack them to secondaries for around 7-10days

Then I'll harvest the slurry including around 1 litre beer of each finished brew split up into 6 stubbies.

Giving me 12 US05 liquid slurries ready to go, just refrigerate till needed, then pour off beer on the top, smell and taste beer, warm to around pitch temp, swirl and pitch, no dramas yet. I don't reharvest again, just once per pack. Don't want mutants :eek:

I know they are only $4, but why waste ya money when ya can spend it on malt and hops to make more AG :beerbang:

I pitch dry and no problems.

I use US-05 and S-04 and both seem to do equally as well. Nice firm cake and drop clean when done. I do get the factory packets. The last S-04 did take forever but not sure if it was the yeast or the recipe.

I even live a short few hours drive to that big liquid yeast manufacturer everyone seems to use. Just way too many choices and too few brews in life. The cell count is a bit better in the dry packs from everything I have read. I am not organized enough to mess with starters.

I've got two AG's fermenting now on 1/2 each pack of US-05 pitched dry into fermenter with cube drained in at height @ 28deg OG 1044/11 Brix three days ago.

Allowed to slowly cool to 18deg in fermenting fridge.

One is sitting at 1024/7.8 and other is at 1021/7.4

I'll give it a day or two and then I'll rack them to secondaries for around 7-10days

Then I'll harvest the slurry including around 1 litre beer of each finished brew split up into 6 stubbies.

Giving me 12 US05 liquid slurries ready to go, just refrigerate till needed, then pour off beer on the top, smell and taste beer, warm to around pitch temp, swirl and pitch, no dramas yet. I don't reharvest again, just once per pack. Don't want mutants :eek:

I know they are only $4, but why waste ya money when ya can spend it on malt and hops to make more AG :beerbang:

yeah that would be as good a method as any. About 32 cents per brew for good grade yeast :beerbang: It`s interesting too that over on BYO The Wizard claims he would never harvest and reuse slurry that has been in the bottom of a fermenter for more than 10 days.

stagga.

I pitch dry with both S04 and US05, tried rehydrating once but it seemed a lot of extra effort and more chance for something to go wrong for little tangible benefit.

Slightly OT:

what's decent gravity? How big are your batches? for a normal (23L) batch of 1.050 1 11.5g pack of dried is pretty close to the perfect amount of yeast.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

overpitching is worse than underpitching :)

[/quote]

Both as bad as each other. With liquid yeasts underpitching is easier to achieve than overpitching.

tdh

When using dry ive always rehydrated n 150-200ml of boiled water at 25-30deg, covered and let rehydrate and cool to pitching temps. a simple swirl and pitch is all ive ever needed. Oh btw, ive always used fermentis yeast. Their website has precise rehydrating methods on their website.

cheers.

The only BAD thing could think of is Autolysis which would be a rare instance. The downsides to overpitching are usually a piss poor yeast profile due to no growth cycle and an increased chance of poor flocculation as you are (in most instances) using the whole cakeof a previous batch and not pitching just healthy yeast.

Please explain.

explain what?

The only BAD thing could think of is Autolysis which would be a rare instance. The downsides to overpitching are usually a piss poor yeast profile due to no growth cycle and an increased chance of poor flocculation as you are (in most instances) using the whole cakeof a previous batch and not pitching just healthy yeast.

Yeah that's the one. I reckon those downsides are worse than anything bad I've had come of underpitching. I used to chronically underpitch, and while pitching a good amount certainly improved my beers, overpitching definitely made them worse than the underpitched ones.

what's decent gravity? How big are your batches? for a normal (23L) batch of 1.050 1 11.5g pack of dried is pretty close to the perfect amount of yeast.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

*sigh*

Please explain your statement 'overpitching is worse than underpitching'

Where is your evidence that one is worse than the other?

*sigh*

Please explain your statement 'overpitching is worse than underpitching'

Where is your evidence that one is worse than the other?

Empirical. I take it you didnt read the rest of my post.

Empirical. I take it you didnt read the rest of my post.

There is nothing in your post that gives any form of evidence to my query, empirical or otherwise.

The one link to Mr Malty is a pitching calculator, it contains no information on whether overpitching or underpitching is worse.

You smoking something while typing Sammus? :lol:

EDIT - typo

Back