Rehydrated Yeast Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jino

Reaction score
I rehydrated some Safale 04 and pitched it last night and i checked this morning and there is no krausen on top of the brew and not airlock action. When i hydrated it the yeast was definately ok as it expanded a lot.

Any ideas on what the isue would be? Or what i should do? Surely after 14 hours there would be some good signs showing.

Thanks

Jino,

Two questions.

1. What temp was the water you hydrated your yeast in?

2. How old was the packet of Safale? Also how does your LHBS store them?

If you've got no activity soon I'd chuck in another.

Warren -

What temp is it sitting at? The temp in Newy is dropping pretty low during the night at the moment which could be one casue of your long lag time. Do you use any temp control?

Regards

Borret

Wouldn't be too worried yet. Last time I used Safale 04 it took 24 hrs before it started.

I rehydrated the yeast at between 30 - 35C, left it for about 25 mins and put a few squirts of wort into it a few times before i added it to prevent temperature shock. The yeast at the shop was just on the counter and i don't really have a clue how old it is.

I was thinking maybe it was a bit cold overnight but where i have it it sits at around 18 - 22C pretty much all the time. No temp control as of yet.

Thanks for the help and quick replies.

If it hasn't taken off after 24 hours aerate the wort by running it into another fermenter or foodgrade bucket, then sloshing it back into the fermenter. If it doesn't take off after that, pitch a new yeast.

Dry yeast should be stored at 4-8C.

Foaming etc during rehydration means nothing.

Jovial Monk

I will give that a try if I can't see any action tonight. Thanks.

Doesn't foaming during rehgydration mean the yeast is good to use? I thought if it foamed it was good and if it sank to the bottom and was not swollen then the yeast was old and unusable?

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that rehydration is simply that - the dry yeast is reabsorbing water. This process simply prevents damaging the yeast when it's added to the wort.

The fact that the yeast absorbs water has little to do with whether the yeast is any good or not.

I think your first comment is correct but i had a look on the web and cam accross a link on Grumpy's.
They say "If the yeast has NOT swollen and is lying on the bottom of the glass then DO NOT PROCEED, the yeast is old and unviable.". I have heard this before as well.

I believe that is with regard to proofing the yeast where you squirt some wort into it after rehydration has taken place. If the yeast then does nothing it is "cactus'

Borret

I think you may be right there.

Anyway i'll see if there is any action tonight and if not i will aerate the wort and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help i'll let you know how it went.

Once safale gets going it is like shit off a shovel. I went back through my notes and in both cases where I brewed an APA with OG 1.060 or thereabouts, it was down to 1.030 in about 24 hours. Having said that, don't worry until at least 24 hours has passed.

I have just checked and it is now going off its head.

I will wait a while in future.

Thanks for all the help though fellas.

Latest posts

Back