Regulator And Gas Bottle Connectors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorazr

Reaction score
Hi Guys need a little feedback on this problem. I purchased privately a regulator which came supplied with an adaptor for the soda stream bottles, this regulator is typical of the two dial type found on ebay. I also purchased from another source a 1.1 litre CO2 bottle manufactured I believe in Tasmania, offhand I cannot remember the brand name.
I tried to attach the regulator to the bottle but could not get the thread started and marry the bottle and regulator together,however the soda stream adapter fits the regulator no problem. When I placed the thread of the soda stream adapter against the bottle there is little if no difference in the thread but the thread on the gas bottle is just a smidgin wider than the nut on the regulator and will not do up.

I took the regulator and bottle to Pirtek and they couldn't work out what thread the bottle had. I have tried another regulator lent to me by the place I purchased the bottle from and lo and behold it fitted, I am currently getting an adapter machined to fit the two together at a cost of around $100.00 this will enable me to fit both the soda stream bottle and CO2 bottle to the same regulator, has anyone else come across this problem?

As a side note I have also used the sodastream bottle and regulator to pump beer from my newly set up keg (50l of Samuel Adams Boston Best) using a pressure of 10 lb and a pluto, pouring into a jug but I get about 3/4 of a jug of froth. I am running 3mtr of hose from the keg to the pluto and everything is in the fridge keg temp about 5C.
Any help appreciated.

My reg runs on PSI or KPA..so i'm not sure...i ususally have it set to about 100 psi though....

A bit of research and I have dropped the temp of the keg to 3.5C or 38F and will run 12 psi, does this sound about right? Unfortunately I cannot test it as I will not get my bottle and regulator back until the end of the week.

I run mine at about 50-60kpa serving pressure, about 1.5-2m line from keg outpost to tap, 4deg beer temp. I tried serving at 100kpa & get almost all foam, dropped it back & pours great. I carb the keg for a week at 4 deg 80-90kpa.
Hope that helps,

Crusty

My reg runs on PSI or KPA..so i'm not sure...i ususally have it set to about 100 psi though....

Ferg-I think it more likely that you'd have it set to 100 kPa (about 15 psi) to pour; 100 psi is about 690 kPa.

Motorazr- I am new to keging myself, but will attempt to help.

10 psi seems consistent with crusty too, and being your beer line is longer should work better. This would depend on the diameter and type of beer line being used though. Try increasing line length or decreasing internal diameter and/or getting a better quality smother bore beer line.

Dialling your pressure back a couple psi can help, but beer may lose carb over time. Combat by dialling pressure back up a few psi when finished for the night and then dialling down and releasing keg pressure before serving.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Jason

thanks guys will give it a go, anyone know much about the difference in threads on the reg and bottle?

is your gas bottle stamped with australian standard,it may be american which use a different thread[as I was told]the other prob you may run into is getting your bottle refilled as suppliers may not want to refill even with an adaptor that hasn,t been tested/approved,I would have invested the $100 into a aust standard gas bottle

thanks guys will give it a go, anyone know much about the difference in threads on the reg and bottle?

Stupid question but are you trying to connect the reg to the bottle with the soda stream adapter attached to the reg?? If so remove the adapther and try the reg straight to the bottle.

Stupid question i know!

KHB

The bottle is an australian standard found out it was a Type 30 aus standard thread and went to BOC and got a nut and tail cost $42.00 cheaper than the $100 to get the adapter made. Took me a good half hour to remove the old tail and nut which was a US standard as it was on way too tight.
Had to remove the guages and then blew the arse out of the low pressure guage (hooked em back up wrong) as I had to remove them to get enough pressure on the tail to unscrew it, in all i now consider myself almost an expert in regulators and thread standards.
By the way Arndale have replacement guages for about $25.00.
KHB, no wasn't trying to hook the soda stream adapter on.
Hopefully I have it sorted, all I wanted was a beer :p

Latest posts

Back