Refractometers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GMK,
are you still going ahead with this buy?
Let us know as I really need to get one.

johnno

Anyone ever seen a 0 to 20% brix refractometer?

Asher for now

Got one at work. Looks like a small microscope. Measures upto 66%! Thats the saturation point. Never used it for brewing though

Never seen one before. This post is the first I've heard of them. I may be interested in one also.

Cheers :)

Anyone in Melb want oto get one.
I want to order soon.

Johnno

Does anyone know if all refractometers are the same.? My work uses one for checking the amount of coolant added to their CNC machines. I could probably borrow it for brew days if it could be used.

vl

vlbaby said:
Does anyone know if all refractometers are the same.? My work uses one for checking the amount of coolant added to their CNC machines. I could probably borrow it for brew days if it could be used.

vl
[post="89159"][/post]​

I guess they are the same but I could be wrong. They measure the refractive index of a solution. Now the scale may not be in Brix if you are measuring oil.

I'd be interested in joining in a bulk buy...

Andy

johnno said:
Anyone in Melb want oto get one.
I want to order soon.

Johnno
[post="89158"][/post]​

Anyone interested. Before the dollar drops any further.

johnno

Guys,

Not all refractometers are the same.
Units for measuring water coolant are no good for measuring sugar in solution.

You would want to be looking for a unit that measures 0-32% Brix
Used for sugar in solution
Preferably with 0.2% scale increments
Automatic Temperature Compensation is also a nice feature which allows the unit to compensate for the difference in the sample temp.

I have a RHB-32ATC model
Google it for info and also check out out ebay for pricing.

Cheers

I've just gone for the Ebay link as well...

Andyd said:
I've just gone for the Ebay link as well...
[post="89429"][/post]​

guys, don't compete against each other - When you win it, he will happily ship more at the same price - Maybe it needs someone to drop him a line...

tangent said:
i didn't do a bid, just buy it now from a store
[post="89433"][/post]​

Yep. Did the same.
Just grabbed 2 of them today.

johnno

Beer bum said:
Automatic Temperature Compensation is also a nice feature which allows the unit to compensate for the difference in the sample temp.

Actually, ATC is more likely to compensate for ambient temperature. Given the metal contruction, as soon as the sample lands on the refractometer it's the same temp as the body. ATC will therefore compensate for ambient temperature variation.

Latest posts

Back