Refractometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
I find it's convenient to lick mine clean after use so I can also get a taste of the sample for evaluation of its quality.

Also the refractometer.

Erm why did this thread get necroed?
:lol: :lol: :lol: ....cheers...spog..

SG.JPG
Can't live without my refractometer

tanukibrewer said:
attachicon.gif
SG.JPG
Can't live without my refractometer
If my ebay special was anywhere near as clear as that I may have kept it.. Mine was Dark blue and blue... Was hard to get a decent, accurate reading...

So I went all out and got a nice digital one :D

DigitalRefract.jpg

So much easier to use, and it does temperature compensation for you as well.

Endo said:
$217. Could have gotten it cheaper from the states but was brewing the next day.

The distributor is right around the corner from my place so picked it up on the way home.

http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=73

Price on the site doesnt inc GST
Noice!! One of the dissolved oxy meters would be handy for wort aeration too. A TDS sensor to automate recirculation before applying heat.... just need to win the lotto and I'll be set!! :D

Next time I drop one of my hydrometers I think I'll be upgrading.

85% brix? What are they trying to measure, the gravity of pure sugar?

Blackened said:
Noice!! One of the dissolved oxy meters would be handy for wort aeration too. A TDS sensor to automate recirculation before applying heat.... just need to win the lotto and I'll be set!! :D

Next time I drop one of my hydrometers I think I'll be upgrading.
You forgot a digital PH meter... :D

slash22000 said:
85% brix? What are they trying to measure, the gravity of pure sugar?
Maybe Brewdog own one to measure Sink the Bismark? :chug:

Endo said:
You forgot a digital PH meter... :D
Got one already, but it's been in storage for ages so I'll probably need a new probe. Didn't use it that much actually, and I've got PH strips so I might use them until I run out, assuming they don't have a used by or anything..

Anyone recommend a cheap ebay one that is usable ? ie not like this... "If my ebay special was anywhere near as clear as that I may have kept it.. Mine was Dark blue and blue... Was hard to get a decent, accurate reading..."

Don't want to spend over $50 but don't want to waste my cash either. So... any recommendations?

431neb said:
Anyone recommend a cheap ebay one that is usable ? ie not like this... "If my ebay special was anywhere near as clear as that I may have kept it.. Mine was Dark blue and blue... Was hard to get a decent, accurate reading..."

Don't want to spend over $50 but don't want to waste my cash either. So... any recommendations?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181119935002?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I got this 2weeks ago... $50, free postage. Postage took 2-3days from memory. It's really good. You calibrate vs water when it arrives, mine was fairly accurate. I was doing a comparison with my hydrometer but found the refractometer reading the same so I'm just using my refractometer. I work in a lab and had access to our solutions we validate our hydrometers with and the refractometer matched up really well.

Comes with its own case, cleaning cloth, pipette, instructions/manual.

Well worth the $50..!!!!

Thanks Rileyhall00. So it's easy to read? Some have complained that they are hard to read. I'm going to keg king today so I'll see if they have one and compare.

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I would get a response.

431neb said:
Thanks Rileyhall00. So it's easy to read? Some have complained that they are hard to read. I'm going to keg king today so I'll see if they have one and compare.

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I would get a response.
I find it very easy to read. I was doing readings at work and also using out digital Denisty meter and I was accurate.
Also it has a scope you can adjust to read it as well, I haven't played with this much as i don't have an issue reading.

Maybe have a go at keg king if you can,

Thanks Riley, I got one at KK for about $50 from memory. Easy enough to read once it's focused correctly. Will use over the weekend. Thanks for your assistance.

I've been hanging for a Brix only meter for a while and recently took the plunge and ordered one from aliexpress. About 25 bux for a 0-20 Brix model, nice large graduations. eBay listings were ~70-90 dollars each. Will update when I get it. Comes with case etc just like one of the above ones.

CBF posting link from phone but search aliexpress for "0-20 Brix ATC".

my 33 buck ebay one rocks (only had it a week so still in love)

question... it says calibrate with distilled water, none in our house, so I used boiled water. is this ok? I also noticed starsan had the same SG as boiled water.. is Starsan ok to calibrate with?

I calibrated my ~$30 ebay refractometer with regular tap water. Converting brix I get the same reading as my coopers hydrometer (which is probably barely accurate). Good enough for me.

Otherwise boil water in a pot with lid, and use a few drips of condensation from the lid.

I find it easiest to recalibrate it every time I use it - it only takes a few seconds with the little screwdriver, and it varies HEAPS with temperature.

I calibrate with plain water from a cup - then use that same water to cool the sample wort in the pippette.... then you get a calibrated AND temperature adjusted reading.

Back