Recultured Coopers Yeast For Non-coopers Clones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacknohe

Reaction score
Hi All

I've read lots of references to brewers using the recultured Coopers Yeast for Coopers CPA or CSA clones. I've used it for a CPA once and it was great. Just wondering if anyone has used it for other styles and what your results were like.

I'm thinking of a best bitter or Extra special strong bitter style using this yeast. Wondering if its suitable.

Thanks

Jack

I have used it in many a beer (not a british ale however) but the mates claim it was the best beer they have ever had (some non beer drinkers) - however it was a Aus style ale - i guess you could then say it was coopers style

it adds a yeasty bread like flav - goes well in a aus style beer but british ale i dont think would be so good - that said it might be a new style you love

Hi All

I've read lots of references to brewers using the recultured Coopers Yeast for Coopers CPA or CSA clones. I've used it for a CPA once and it was great. Just wondering if anyone has used it for other styles and what your results were like.

I'm thinking of a best bitter or Extra special strong bitter style using this yeast. Wondering if its suitable.

Thanks

Jack

Coopers yeast will work fine in a English bitters, the fruity ester profile is a natural fit.

Used it in Amber, Red, & Brown ales all of which worked well, managed well its a great yeast IMHO.

Cheers,
BB

Bear in mind Coopers use the same yeast, so I am led to beleive, in all their ales, and there is more than just pale ale.
SO... yeah.
Coopers yeast goes well in many many beer styles.

Bear in mind Coopers use the same yeast, so I am led to beleive, in all their ales, and there is more than just pale ale.
SO... yeah.
Coopers yeast goes well in many many beer styles.

It's true. I posted a while back about using the yeast out of the Coopers Stout bottles. Turns out, it is the same as the yeast in the CPA, CSA and Mild Ale. Suggestions were to use the mild ale yeast, as it wouldn't be as 'beaten up' as the stout yeast, because of the lower alcohol content.
Food for thought.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a crack and see how we go...

Coopers yeast will work fine in a English bitters, the fruity ester profile is a natural fit.

Used it in Amber, Red, & Brown ales all of which worked well, managed well its a great yeast IMHO.

Cheers,
BB

nice one, i might try this. . i just assumed it would not work but i might try a coopers V whitbread beer this month to see the difference

cheers

It also responds well to temperature adjustments, can run hot for fruitiness, though if you keep it cool it's quite neutral.
Cheers

grant

On the two occasions I've used it, the first batch gave off a slight bananary ester during primary fermentation (at 18C). The first time I used it, the ester died down after a while and I didn't notice any such aromas on subsequent re-pitching.

The first time, I used it in a Coopers Dark Ale clone (and it really helped get the flavour) followed by a Milk Stout then a Chocolate Porter. The "Coopers flavour" came across in all three. I'm currently brewing a Coopers Sparkling Ale clone from the second re-culture.

Cheers,
Kris.

Latest posts

Back