Recovery From Over Attenuation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starkesbier

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on recovery from over attenuation. Just tried my partial oktoberfest (from a stubbie) and it was overbitter and a bit too dry :( . As I have not touched the keg yet (other than burping) I wondered if I could improve this beer by adding a small amount of LDM to the keg (using the keg as a fermentor) sacrificing a bit of clarity for a better taste. If still too dry after a suitable period, repeat. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Blend it with another more dextrinous version? It means making another batch of beer though.

Going out on limb here - have done it before.

There is a risk of possible infection.

1- cut an inch off the dip tube from the keg.
2 - Crack 100gms of Munich or Vienna Malt.
3- Put this in the keg - now Grain has a wild bacteria that sits on the husk - here is the chance of infection.
Remedy is to blanch the grain in steam for 5mins.
4- let sit in keg for 3-4 days.

Now the Keged beer will have more dextrines and flavour.
We cut the dip tube so that grain does not get sucked up through keg system.

LDME will just start a tertiary fermentation.

Hope this helps.

HOw about you get some grains like Crystal. Soak them in hot water for 10 minutes in a hopsock or similar. Remove grains, then boil the liquid for 10 minutes and cool. Add to keg. This way you'll avoid infections from the grains.

Berp.

Going out on limb here - have done it before.

There is a risk of possible infection.

1- cut an inch off the dip tube from the keg.
2 - Crack 100gms of Munich or Vienna Malt.
3- Put this in the keg - now Grain has a wild bacteria that sits on the husk - here is the chance of infection.
Remedy is to blanch the grain in steam for 5mins.
4- let sit in keg for 3-4 days.

Now the Keged beer will have more dextrines and flavour.
We cut the dip tube so that grain does not get sucked up through keg system.

LDME will just start a tertiary fermentation.

Hope this helps.

Hi Kenny,

How on earth is unmashed vienna/munich going to add anything other than haze/bacteria :unsure: , or am i missing something??

Cheers Ross

If you are really worried about it, and you have the space, I'd blend it with another beer.

If you've got a spare keg, move half of this beer to the second keg. Brew a really malty beer and add half to each keg.

Of course, I don't actually have kegs, so I'd just have to drink it as is. Maybe call it an IPA instead of a Oktoberfest, then it will be fine.

Cheers,
Wrenny

(edit - damn, have finally succumbed to the editing craze)

... Just tried my partial oktoberfest (from a stubbie) and it was overbitter and a bit too dry :( . As I have not touched the keg yet (other than burping)

How long has the keg been lagering for?
A month or two cold conditioning will do wonders in reducing the perceived bitterness and smooth out the dryness

Dry beer = low carb beer ;)

I agree with the suggestion for blending the batch, or you might want to add some dried maltodextrin ( re-hydrated and boiled) to your keg.

Cheers

6470zzy

How long has the keg been lagering for?
A month or two cold conditioning will do wonders in reducing the perceived bitterness and smooth out the dryness

Dry beer = low carb beer ;)

I must confess that the beer is still has only had two weeks cold conditioning so maybe I am being a little hasty. Very disappointed in the taste though.

If the beer is simply dry, try a natural sweetener (non sucrose) such as stevia a drop at a time to the keg.

starkesbier

Anything you attempt here is going to be pure compromise... Best thing you can do is grin and bear it. Good way to learn from your mistakes. ;)

Not like it's going to be the last batch of beer you make.

Warren -

Latest posts

Back