Recommend Me A Book

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans6401

Reaction score
Hi,
Although i've learnt a lot on this site, i am looking at buying a book which describes the brewing process of all grain in detail. Was looking at John Palmers - How to brew. Which seems to be quite good. So does anyone else have any more recommendations, or is John Palmers the best i'll find?
Thanks

Start with Palmers, read twice, then there's a few other options. Charlie Papisan (Speeling?!) would be a good move from there? The more experianced will chime in, I'm sure.

Cheers - Mike

I bought the Palmer book two days ago for around $40. Looks great. I think there is more in the hardcopy than is on the website. The current edition also has most of the figures converted to metric next to the imperial figures, so you don't have to keep trying to convert things in your head while you read.

Laurie Strachan used to have a book called Homebrewing in Australia or something like that. A good read and explained the basics, but not too detailed. Got me interested in homebrewing and the possibilities over and above kits. Think it's out of print now.

Charlie Papazian has 2 books, a bit more in depth, can't remember their names. But both are great reads, and explain All Grain in more detail.

And finally How to Brew by Palmer is probably the brewers bible. Good explanations, from the simp,le right through to water and mash chemistry. It's a good buy, and probably the best all round book on brewing at the moment (that I know of)...

Palmers is good, other good ones to start off with are Brewing Classic Styles, Designing Great Beers and some of the Classic Beer Style Series books for some light reading

Palmer's book is an excellent 'how to' that also explains the 'why' in a very straight-forward way.
If you want more try Charles Bamforth's 'Beer - Tap into the art and science of brewing'. I'm enjoying that one a lot, it's an excellent insight from probably the leading brain in brewing science.

You can't go past Palmers book for getting started with AG; I'm in the process of mashing my second ever AG brew (45 mins into the mash right now) and its my bible... (have it with me the whole time I'm brewing with post it notes at all the important parts).

Any parts of the process that the book doesn't explain enough, this forum and the guru's on it can expand on.

Designing great beers by Ray Daniels is a top book too.

PB

There is "Easy Beer Making-Real Ale In 21 Days". by Mark Kaye . Long out of print but a great read if you can find one . Covers all areas well.

Hi,
Although i've learnt a lot on this site, i am looking at buying a book which describes the brewing process of all grain in detail. Was looking at John Palmers - How to brew. Which seems to be quite good. So does anyone else have any more recommendations, or is John Palmers the best i'll find?
Thanks

Beginners : Dummies guide to home brewing isn't bad...
Intermediate: (also some advanced) Palmer - Get the latest revision (3 I think) - rev 1 is on line also... I refer here again and again ... (best all rounder IMHO)
Beginner Advanced and Intermediate - Brewing Classic styles (recipe focussed)
Advanced Designing great beers, and brewing lager beer

My 2C

^I reckon this, how to brew and brewing classic styles are essential books in every brewer's library.
Have to agree with manticle and Pocket Beers. Of these three books, Designing Great Beers is the most referred to here...

sap.

I can highly recommend 'Wild Brews' for lambics! (have a separate ferment area for them though!)

Back