Recomend me a brew shop in the east of Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
Hi All,

I usually source my ingredients from the Grain and Grape, they have an excellent selection of grain, hops and yeast. But it's a long way from home (and frankly whilst I really like the place I don't really have enough life remaining to me to wait for them to run everything through their point of sale system again....) So I'm looking for an alternative closer to home, I'm in the far east (hills area) and I want somewhere that has a good selection of grain, will weigh and mill to order, good range of hops and liquid yeast.

I've tried Keg King which has a drool worthy selection of equipment and a good range of grain at good prices but no liquid yeast and the hop range is a bit ho-hum. I don't really want to order online as I don't want to add $10 to a $40 order and I don't like yeast sitting around in transit.

Any suggestions? (or do I just need to make more "work" trips to Footscray?)

Cheers

Zarniwoop

Do core brewing have a shop front and will they weigh and mill grain to order?

My only suggestion is to shop around especially online. Nowadays I use, for ingredients, a couple of local suppliers. I get most of my hops from Hop Dealz Australia (a pillar to AHB and the instigator of cheaper hop pricing in the last year or so, IMO) and most of my grains from Full Pint, another new business built on the backs of AHB solids. I love supporting local businesses especially when they've influenced my brewing via the forum and are in my area. For yeasts I take advantage of specials and also keep dry yeast as backup. I farm my yeast and reculture when feasible.
I like to buy in bulk and find this can negate the savings made from avoiding freight costs. Some times pick up is easily arranged with the above mentioned suppliers.
Just some food for thought anyway. Initially I bought all my grain, hops and yeast from two states away and, inc postage, still worked out cheaper or on par with driving across the city.
Thank God for progress!

Agree with all the above.

What you seem stuck with is liquid yeast choice. And more hop choice - try brewers den in boronia on Dorset rd opposite the train station. He is another pillar of the homebrew scene that way and decent AG ingredient range but be warned, prices are more small shop like than the bigger boys, he can be good on some things especially considering transport.

Core brewing let you go into shop, grab a bucket and weigh out your own grains. You can even crack then bag yourself. Stock a massive range of white labs yeast and most grains.
Also have a lot of shiny stainless to drool over. I'm in MtEvelyn and that's who I use. Only 35/40mins from here down east link.

Latest posts

Back