RecipeDB - Tim's Old

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daemon

Reaction score

Tim's Old

Ale - Schwarzbier
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Made this one for my 30th birthday and it was perfect. Lovely head retention, lovely roast flavour and a nice subtle malt backbone.

The Amber Malt should be Aromatic, couldn't see it in the database. The malt bill is fairly complex due to using up the remainder of a few specialty grains but the end result was very nice.

Mashed at 68c to give it reasonable body for the lower alcohol, fermented for 10 days and then CC'ed in the keg for two weeks. SG was 1047, FG was 1.016 which means it was around the 4% ABV.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.5 kg BB Ale Malt
0.3 kg Weyermann Munich I
0.2 kg TF Amber Malt
0.15 kg JWM Crystal 140
0.1 kg Weyermann Chocolate Wheat
0.1 kg Weyermann Carafa Special II

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
15 g Warrior (Pellet, 15.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

20 ml Wyeast Labs 1056 - American Ale
22L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.046 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 26.9 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.41%
  • Colour 46 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

That looks like an interesting recipe to try at some stage.

How does it compare to Toohey's Old?
TO is one of my clear favourites, never tried making a clone but read on here that Tony says it is hard to copy. That by using all grain, his versions tend to be a bit more malty than the "original" so would be interested in how this one is compared to TO.

Also, the bittering is really low but then TO is not a very bitter beer, is it?

Sounds like a good beer,

Bjorn

Fixed up the hops now, didn't notice that the Warrior was set to 6% instead of 15% :)

I haven't had Toohey's Old side by side but this variant (from memory) has more body and maltiness to it. There were a number of drinkers who drink the Tooheys stuff and complimented me on this version, so that's why I thought I'd share the recipe.

A quick photo of the beer, quite dark with just a faint red hue through it.

darkale_1.jpg

Drinks as good as it looks :)

Back