RecipeDB - Simple Saaz Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have any biscuit, Taz, or are you aiming to use the munichI as a sub?

Either way, I reckon it will drink nicely. Though the biscuit does work really well in a grain bill like this.

G'day Jyo
Bit restricted for choice in Tassie. I was debating whether to use the Munich which is stocked down here or buy some biscuit from craftbrewer with an order which I need to do to buy some other bits and pieces. Bit of a pain when the only decent LHB is at the other end of the state in Hobart.So the biscuit is your preference?
Taz

G'day Jyo
Bit restricted for choice in Tassie. I was debating whether to use the Munich which is stocked down here or buy some biscuit from craftbrewer with an order which I need to do to buy some other bits and pieces. Bit of a pain when the only decent LHB is at the other end of the state in Hobart. So the biscuit is your preference?
Taz

The biscuit is great in this, but if you're keen to brew then I would sub the biscuit for 300-400gm munichI, no worries at all.

Cheers.

Just mashed this in, first brew on my new set-up and my first all-grain in about 12 months! Was aiming for 66 deg mash, got 65.5, happy with that.

Only change I made is to do the second hops addition at flameout as i no-chill.

Planning another batch in a couple weeks with Joe White Pilsner as the base, havent used it before and just bought a sack, so want to compare it to the wey pils.

Wish I'd spotted this prior to brewing this weekend. I knocked out a Belgian Blond, though not sure it'd meet BJCP requirements. Spent a lot of time researching recipes and finally just thought - to heck with styles - I'll just go with my own vibe. Would love to compare my slightly stronger, maltier attempt. Maybe I'll go the Simple Saaz next time.

5.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 84.0 %
0.50 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 2 8.4 %
0.35 kg Biscuit Malt (45.3 EBC) Grain 3 5.9 %
0.10 kg Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC) Grain 4 1.7 %
55.50 g Saaz [4.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 26.6 IBUs

That recipe looks awesome, hsb.

I'm definitely brewing a batch of simple saaz soon, but will be subbing the saaz for hallertau to see how she goes.

Cheers.

Thinking about running this in my First BIAB, Iv got plenty of cascade hops here so will just get the grain bill from G&G Tomorrow....

COuld anyone give me any tips on making this using BIAB??

I will then NO-Chill

Mate I would say just brew it. Doesn't matter if you BIAB or 3V. Just be sure to keep your late hop addition low and total IBU around 20 and you can't go wrong. :)

Cheers.

I just put her down as the maiden brew on my new BIAB setup.

Used same grain bill & hop bill
Moved the 10 min to a 5 min (Cause of No Chill)
90 min mash temp went 67-64 over 90 mins
gave the bag a light squeeze nothing too hefty.
only done a 60 min boil due to not knowing if id get the full 90 with 1/2 bottle of gas....

efficency was pretty low (57.3) but i ended up with a 1044 brew and about 17L in the cube which is all good for a trial first run....

wort smelt awesome so cant wait to get it in the fermenter and give it a try...

Will post my tastings!

Cheers Gents

making this now looks good first time I have done a 90 min mash and boil. i mash in a esky so had to add a few Lt's of boiling water at 60 Min's then sparged the rest at 90. cheers for the recipe

No worries, mate. Hope it goes well. I always mash and boil for 90 minutes, just stuck in my ways now.

Love the lyrics too :super:

Cheers once again this is fantastic I used wyeast california lager instead of nottingham's it was a all i had in the fridge. This will be in my "stock" keg from now on sooooooo easy to drink. First time I have used saaz hops and like the soft flavour that match the grain bill.

No worries, mate. Good to hear it turned out for you. Using a lager yeast... I like it.

Cheers.

jyo said:
That recipe looks awesome, hsb.

I'm definitely brewing a batch of simple saaz soon, but will be subbing the saaz for hallertau to see how she goes.

Cheers.
hey jyo,

how'd you go subbing the saaz for hallertau? i have a bunch of hallertau i'd like to try in a recipe like this...any good?

No mate, I haven't got around to it yet. As usual, I have 3 different recipes tinkered into Brewmate that I am working my way through!

Hallertau is lovely, I say go for it.

haha no worries mate. 100% exactly the same with me. i'll chop and change what my next brew is going to be 1000 times before i put one on. this weekend i'll see how i go. if i can't this time i'll eventually report back on how it goes :)

Just drinking this one now, WHen i first cracked one, i come off a hoppy pale ale and all i could taste was grain....

I had them last night straight off the bat and very nice simple beer, I No chilled this and could definatly handle some more hops but i wouldn't go overboard, quite possible that i needed to dry hop it in the FV as i lost my aroma hops in the no chill.....

quite a easy nice bill for one to get to know the joys of AG brew

Will brew again for sure

Just filled a cube with this today.

Did it with Saaz and a 40g addition at 60 mins and 10g at flame out; no chill. Tastes great!

Going to ferment it low with WLP001.

just brewed this up using motueka (had some already) as the bittering at 40min to 17ibu and steeped 20 grams of saaz for 10mins after whirlpool in 44litre batch no chill. Havnt got any Nottingham on hand I got it mixed up with belle saison for some reason. So ill probly just use left over us05 pack I have. And ideas on what temp to ferment at with that yeast for this beer.

I've got my cube in the fridge right now. Gonna pitch WLP001 at 16 degrees tomorrow night

Latest posts

Back