RecipeDB - JSAA Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score

JSAA Clone

Ale - American Amber Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 7 Votes

Brewer's Notes

This is close to a James Squire Amber Ale as I remember it. When I drink this at the pubs now it tastes like crap and I much prefer this home brew version, which has more flavour without being over the top.

This is the easiest beer I've ever made. It is very forgiving and very hard to get wrong. I would recommend this as anyones first AG brew.

This is affectively an AG version of Tony's JSAA extract recipe. Kudos goes to Tony.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4.5 kg BB Ale Malt
0.35 kg Weyermann Caramunich II
0.04 kg TF Chocolate Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
40 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 60mins)
20 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 15mins)

Yeast

200 ml Wyeast Labs 1056 - American Ale
20L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.05 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness 35.1 IBU
  • Efficiency 65%
  • Alcohol 4.81%
  • Colour 25 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days

And I was just wondering what to do for my 2nd AG brew....Sounds good :D

The main reason I put this in the DB is so I could refer to it when people ask what their first AG should be. This is so damn easy, IMO easier than Dr Smurtos Golden Ale.

Of course a lot of beers are easy, but I reckon this one is easy to and forgiving. Any little things you do wrong will still make a good beer.

Made this but wouldn't mind a bit more body, thinking of upping the caramunich up to 500g and mashing at a higher temp tan I did.

Good idea or not ?

Aaron

Made this but wouldn't mind a bit more body, thinking of upping the caramunich up to 500g and mashing at a higher temp tan I did.

Good idea or not ?

Aaron

Adding Caramunich will add sweetness, you could try adding a touch of caraplis or as you said mash 2 degrees higher

paul

Hi guys,

I am trying to find the extract recipe for JSAA referred to here earlier but can't find it. I seem to be going around in circles.

Tony's JSAA extract recipe isn't on the recipe db unless I am totally blind.

What mash temp did you use Aaron? I have all the ingredients to make this so will give it a go next week.

Drew

What mash temp did you use Aaron? I have all the ingredients to make this so will give it a go next week.

Drew

66 and a bit, which, looking back wasn't high enough. But still a nice beer will make it again this weekend but I'll mash at 68 and add 150g of carapils. See what that does to it.

Aaron

Hi guys,

I am trying to find the extract recipe for JSAA referred to here earlier but can't find it. I seem to be going around in circles.

Not sure about Tony's but if you sub out the ale malt in this recipe with the amount of pale dried malt extract to give you the same gravity (you'll need to work it out in software but it will probably be between 2 and 3 kg) and keep everything else the same you should be good.

When I say the same I refer to a full volume boil. If not doing full volume, then you will need to keep the gravity of the boil the same or similar as the gravity of the boil in this recipe in order to get the right hop utilisation.

Tony's original recipe is 3L of LME, 300g crystal, 30g chocolate. 40g willamette @ 45 minutes, 20g willamette @ 15 minutes. US05

That's from memory.

For more body I'd go with a different base malt or sub out some base malt for something else as mentioned above, but no more crystal, but that's just me. I already think it's got about as much crystal as I can handle. If you only need a bit more body then mash a bit higher. I mash their at about 67/68 and I'm happy with the body. I think it has a lot more body than JSAA already.

Good idea or not ?

Aaron

Try 3-5% amber malt and Wyeast 1272.Mash @ 66

Made this recipe a few weeks ago. Mashed at 66 degc. Absolutley loving it. I do think i will mash a little hotter next time for some more body but only to try and slow me down when i drink it. It just slides down so smoooth. :chug:

Hi guys,

Not sure if Tony's JSAA is in the database but can be found here Linky

I forgot about this thread. I'm current crash chilling a batch of this. I think I was pushing my size limits with respect to my gear size, as I only wound up with about 18L @ 1.047, but I'll work on that. I'm also using US-05.

The first batch I did was so good i just did a second double size batch. Ended up with 50L into fermenter. :drinks: I did want to mash a little bit hotter this batch but failed. Maxed out my 10 Gal rubbermaid cooler. Doughed in with 3L/Kg by mistake and had it overflowing by the end. Mash temp ended up at 64 deg.

Hi Guys,

I've just ordered the ingredients for this off Ross.

It will be my first home brew ever.

I have been reading alot about brewing etc.

I have just purchased Beersmith.

I have tried looking for the BB Ale Malt in Beersmith, but it's not there.

How could I substitute ???

Or could I just use a sample malt in Beersmith ???

Or should I request the specs from Ross ???

PS, What's the Litre / Kilo ratio on a 20 L batch for this ???

Cheers Guys

The first batch I did was so good i just did a second double size batch. Ended up with 50L into fermenter. :drinks: I did want to mash a little bit hotter this batch but failed. Maxed out my 10 Gal rubbermaid cooler. Doughed in with 3L/Kg by mistake and had it overflowing by the end. Mash temp ended up at 64 deg.

Did you find it still came out okay at 64 degrees?

Latest posts

Back